Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How To: Transfer 8mm film to video and edit with CLPD13 with GREAT results.
jaymay22
Member Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia. Joined: Aug 27, 2009 07:18 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
https://youtu.be/cR4X5wJys5A - a mini clip of 1960s standard 8mm film transferred, and edited with CLPD13

Cyberlink PD13 can edit your film transfers beautifully and create wonderful productions.
I've been doing my own 1960s 8mm film transfers for about 2 years now, and had some wonderful ideas, tips and tricks from this forum and through perseverence. I thought others may like to know my system if they're attempting to transfer their own old film home movies to video and edit them.

Above is my youtube link to a 4.5 minute mini movie, I've cut up one of my movies to give you a view of what can be achieved with Cyberlink PD13 editing the old film. Remember, film is not HD, only the video camera is, so it's not as clear as modern video!
For those with old 8mm film, you only need an adjustable speed projector, a handicam, a white piece of paper, and a table. That's it!

Now that film is getting old, it's imperative that those who have celluloid film protect it by copying it to digital before it degrades to far. Here's how I do it. I hope it helps someone out there:

1. I have a digital camcorder (I use a panasonic tm900, or my sony pj760 handicam) they take nice AVCHD video so I can make dvds or blu rays, and it's high def enough to look lovely on an hd tv or pc.

2. The projector must have a speed adjustment knob, otherwise you'll get th horizontal black flickering bars due to the frame rate being slightly different, therefore frames get caught in the 'video' instead of being optically ignored.

3. Seet up the projector on a table with the camcorder directly infront, underneath the projector lens. I make sure the camcorder is not throwing a shadow on the projection. The camcorder can't be too far below the projector else a keystone effect will be visible.

4. I focus on a piece of text (like a magazine) stuck to the screen first, using manual focus on the camcorder. Then I remove the text and project instead, adjusting the projection until sharp.

5. The camcorder should be set on a normal daytime setting.

6.I fill the screen to about 80% with the projected picture, leaving some black areas around the picgture, this means I'm definitely capturing the whole projection, and looks better ultimately due to differnet screen sizes ie 4:3 projection, on a 16:9 tv.

7. Test the projection, looking through the digital camcorder, to make sure there are no 'frames' flickering. if you cans ee them, adjust the projector's speed until they're gone.

8. Keep a dimmed light on, so you can see what you're doing. It also reduces the very contrasty effect.

9. Record the whole reel, no need to stop. while recording I like to 'announce' the name of the reel at the start (to the camcorder) so that later, if you forget which reel was which, it's on the digital recording. I also often announce names and places,...this would be useful for anyone else viewing these original digital files later.

10. Import it to CLPD13 as usual.

11. Listen to the name of the reel and name the project accordingly.

12. Uncheck the sound of the projector in the clip's track one.

13. If there is any major change to colour, do it now, to the whole clip or series of clips.

14. The big one....I like to put a 'mask' (I use the rectangular one with 'keep aspect ratio' unchecked) over the whole projection. This makes nice neat, sharp edges and ultimately looks better than the fuzzy projector's edges, especially if you're adding titles and effects.

15. Now you're in the position of having done all the 'whole' clip edits, and can carve it up. First play it fast forward and split and cut out all the obvious bloopers, feet etc.

16. Start at the start and make a nice title and introduction. Play through at normal speed. Add in captions for places and people where required, nice titles for important events like birthdays, christmases etc, add Pips and effects that you want.

17. I often split clips and add nice transitions where subject matter changes. It also eliminates those faded ends of film.

18. I add credits, to acknowledge the cameraman, locations, and music.

19. Last job....I go back to the beginning and add in music to the track below the main video track. I research music, instrumental usually, that matches the era and 'feeling' of the video. If it's too long, I use the audio transitions, or simply fade it out by lowering the volume to zero in the appropriate places. It's the music, I feel, that really makes the video.

20. It's really important to have saved your work in different incarnations 'save as' , a, b, c etc... along the way, incase you have a glitch, you can always go back to the last time it worked without loosing all your efforts! At the very end, after you've produced and finished the project, you can 'pack project materials' in a folder you've made and that way all the original files used will be there if you ever need them again.

That's my system, hope someone can get use out of it. It's so much fun, and Cyberlink Powerdirector is so great for this type of application. Hope you enjoy my miniclip.
Jenny Jenny
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Jenny, you did a very good job!

I have one question, you say you projected onto the wall. Did you have a white poster board to project onto or was your wall white paint?

You are saying Screen, so that may be a standard projector screen, what color screen? The reason for that question, I have a projector screen with a silver background, but it has fine vertical lines or grooves in the screen. You can see those lines in the video if you focus on the screen. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

jcardana
Senior Contributor Location: USA-NM Joined: Aug 04, 2014 10:11 Messages: 650 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Lady... stop reading my mind! So awesome you posted this.
Just yesterday my Dad and I were trying to come up with ideas on how to do just this!

Thank you so much! There was another post on this sort of thing where the camera projected into a box... or something like that.

Thanks again,

Joe CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

My Video Editing Computer
| My DirectX Diagnostics

PowerDirector 15.0.2820.0 | PhotoDirector 7.0.7504.0 | AudioDirector 6.0.5902.0 | ColorDirector 4.0.4627.0 | Power2Go 9.0.2602.0

Sutter Hill SDA Church
| Anadrac_Organ_Works | My_Youtube_Channel
jaymay22
Member Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia. Joined: Aug 27, 2009 07:18 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Carl and Joe,

So glad it's of some use and that you liked it! Thanks!

Carl, I should have said either 'screen' or 'wall', I meant whatever you're aiming your projector at.
I use a white melamine cupboard. It's very white, and very smooth. I also often use a white A4 piece of printer paper, also, the right white and nice and smooth.

Your surface should be 'proper' white. Not cream, or greyish white, or blueish white,...get a white piece of printer paper and hold it against your surface to check. You'll be surprised at the different colours. That's why I didn't use cardboard, too grey and fibrous.
Also, I have used cardboard and eventually it got a few dirty bits on it, and wrinkles. Waste. I can just throw the bit of paper out and get another. Your projected image only has to be 6" or so square! Because your camera is only about 2 feet from it.
The white is important - too cream (grey or blue) and your white balance is out. White is MUCH better than silver, it makes your lights lighter. (who invented silver anyway??? - paint white on a grey wall, and usually you can see the grey through it, right?)
So...piece of a4 or a3 paper, or melamine, or a nice matt smooth white wall, or even a white door (with no paint marks) will do fine. No need for a real screen, which is WAAAY too big anyway.

Joe: Thanks! I'm so glad you find it useful. Telecine units are what you're talking about. They're simple black boxes with various mirrors or screens that reflect the projected image (through one hole) onto the mirror and reflect it at 45 degrees out through onto a mini screen at which you point your camera for capturing. I've had a couple, and none are better than projecting directly onto a 'paper' or screen or wall. AFter all, it's quality you're after, not just ease. I think there's a number of reasons for this. a) direct projection, rather than being reflected of various mirrors etc. b) one screen to clean, not 2 or 3. c) you can see the projection more easily for focus and adjustment of speed.

However, I know some people have found them useful. I would suggest this is because they didn't want to fiddle with 'table height' and getting the camera in the right spot for framing the projection, and making sure the camera isn't in the picture etc. But after that initial fiddling is done, it's quite straightforward. All the other fiddling is necessary in both setups. Focus, framing, projector speed.

I don't know anyone who said the telecine unit produced better quality production than 'the door or wall or on paper'.
Please, any questions I'd be happy to answer. I got some of my answers off the 8mm forum online, it's mostly about projectors. But if you want to clean your projector up before going ahead, have a look! (don't forget to do that...it's annoying to have fluff in the projection!)
Jenny Jenny
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Nice one jaymay22, some very good pointers.

Thanks I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.