Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Organizing takes and clips.
teascher [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sedona Arizona Joined: Feb 17, 2015 14:31 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
Before actually beginning editing of a production I'd like to have some way of selecting takes, and clips from those takes in a folder from which I can then pull the pieces into a production for editing.

No problem in selecting takes, I can just select just those shots from the original footage and place in whatever directories I plan to use. The additional step that I don't know how to do, is how to select and store clips from those takes.

For instance, I may have a take 10 minutes long. I may only want to select a couple of clips from that take, each of which might only be a few seconds. I'd like to store those clips somewhere as though they were original takes, so that I can pull just the clips, rather than an entire take into a project once I begin actual editing.

Essentially, I want to do preedits of all my takes, store all the preedits, then pull them into my project when ready as though they were originals.

Am I being clear? Any suggestions?
[Post New]
In PD13, I think only one way to do this.
In my opinion is much extra work.
Add the clip on the timeline, use the yellow slider to select the portion you want to save, click the Produce Range button.
A new file with the selected portion will be produced.

Note: Use Intelligent SVRT when possible, to avoid the video recoding.

See more http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/43977.page#227477

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 16. 2015 12:06

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
teascher [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks PlaySound and others who have posted on this topic.

I tried using the Fast Video Rendering Technology button at the bottom and got a greatly reduced quality copy!

Tried again without clicking on the FVRT button at bottom and got a copy that looks of same quality as original. I can see this would be laborious to do for every take, but useful for takes that are significantly longer than what I will use!
Rob1492 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2012 00:52 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Esentially, I want to do preedits of all my takes, store all the preedits, then pull them into my project when ready as though they were originals.

Am I being clear?

Yes! For many of us, we like to see all of our video clips "laid out on the table in front of us" because it helps us in our organization and creativity. From a mental point of view, some of us like having many video files or clips to peruse rather than having just one single video file where we retrieve clips. This is most useful for projects where the organization of the material has not been predetermined (i.e. storyboarded) but is left to the editor to determine how the clips should be assembled.
teascher [Avatar]
[Post New]
Exactly. What we need is an external program that would allow us to trim our video clips, organize and rename as needed before importing into PD13. Does such a program exist?!!!!!!!!!!!!
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Windows Movie Maker ! wink .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
jcardana
Senior Contributor Location: USA-NM Joined: Aug 04, 2014 10:11 Messages: 650 Offline
[Post New]
I use the Multi-Trim feature. What we need is a option on the clip context menu to "Produce this Clip" CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

My Video Editing Computer
| My DirectX Diagnostics

PowerDirector 15.0.2820.0 | PhotoDirector 7.0.7504.0 | AudioDirector 6.0.5902.0 | ColorDirector 4.0.4627.0 | Power2Go 9.0.2602.0

Sutter Hill SDA Church
| Anadrac_Organ_Works | My_Youtube_Channel
[Post New]
[Quote = teascher] Exatamente. O que precisamos é um programa externo que nos permitiria cortar nossos clipes de vídeo, organizar e renomear conforme necessário antes de importar para PD13. Será que um tal programa existe? !!!!!!!!!!!! [/ Quote]

There is, but I prefer to do everything right in PD.

Even when I'm working on a long project, if necessary cut a epecífico video, add the right in the timeline (area clean)

I edit select with yellow and produce on file, give name and selecting a folder to save.

Return to edit this file is added library.

If you will not use this in this project I delete.

Often I have comings and goings Edit - Producer - Edit

The best use of DP for this process is the use of SVRT.

PD just copy the video file, fast process while maintaining the quality of the original video.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 17. 2015 12:51

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
teascher [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, as I mentioned, when I have used SVRT I've experienced a degradation in quality. The other problem with edit, yellow mark, produce and file is that you can't give a filename when produciing. You have to go into Windows file system to rename, and then go out of PD, then back in again. Slow, cludgy process. Yet haven't found anything better. I tried Windows Movie Maker and that is a joke!
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
WMM was supposed to be ! That is why the emoticon was put at the end of the sentence. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Quote: Well, as I mentioned, when I have used SVRT I've experienced a degradation in quality. The other problem with edit, yellow mark, produce and file is that you can't give a filename when produciing. You have to go into Windows file system to rename, and then go out of PD, then back in again. Slow, cludgy process. Yet haven't found anything better. I tried Windows Movie Maker and that is a joke!

I think there was a misunderstanding here.

I did a screen shot that shows how I do
[Thumb - output folder.jpg]
 Filename
output folder.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
210 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
44 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 18. 2015 08:57

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
teascher [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the screen shot! Incredibly helpful! I'll try again and report back!