Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Best production settings for a video with varied-definition sources?
Zorikh [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 05, 2015 20:33 Messages: 99 Offline
[Post New]
I am making a feature-length documentary to be sold as a DVD, and the source videos come from several different cameras. Some of the clips are 4:3 standard def (from a 6.1 megapixel digital camera set at "640") and most are hi-def widescreen (1920 x 1080). I have decided to have some of the 4:3 footage in a "reverse leterbox" (black on the sides) and some expanded to fill the widescreen (cropping off the top and bottom).

What is the best setting at which to produce my product? Should I set the resolution at standard def to match the lowest def footage (an army moves as ast as its slowest unit) or set it to match the highest def, and simply acept that the standard-def video may not lok as good? How bad could it possiby look? Zorikh
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am making a feature-length documentary to be sold as a DVD, and the source videos come from several different cameras. Some of the clips are 4:3 standard def (from a 6.1 megapixel digital camera set at "640") and most are hi-def widescreen (1920 x 1080). I have decided to have some of the 4:3 footage in a "reverse leterbox" (black on the sides) and some expanded to fill the widescreen (cropping off the top and bottom).

What is the best setting at which to produce my product? Should I set the resolution at standard def to match the lowest def footage (an army moves as ast as its slowest unit) or set it to match the highest def, and simply acept that the standard-def video may not lok as good? How bad could it possiby look?
I would Set the project Aspect Ratio to 16:9. Produce to the 1920x1080 output. as to the 640 SD 4:3 footage, put it on Track 2 of powerdirector and a color board on Track 1 or leave the background black.

There is not a big problem mixing SD and HD content, or not a problem mixing 4:3 and 16:9 footage.

Make your project Aspect Ratio 16:9 then add your videos in any order you want them to appear.

Ignore the AR warning. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Zorikh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks! Does it matter if I use Mpeg, AVI, Windows Media, etc? Zorikh
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You just said you want to produce a dvd. mpeg-2 would be a good choice so you don't have to re-render again.
Zorikh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Terrific. Thanks Zorikh