Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is there away to delete all empty gaps in a timeline?
Zorikh [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 05, 2015 20:33 Messages: 99 Offline
[Post New]
I dropped a bunch of clips onto my timeline with gaps between them for editing purposes. I wanted to kep theme separate for he way I was editing them. I now want to delete all the empty gaps n the timeline between them. I found out how to do it one gap at a time, but is there a way to delete all the gaps at once? Zorikh
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm afraid that you'll need to do it one at a time.

Typically clips are placed end to end, and you can remove a single gap by deleting or trimming a clip and choosing the Move All Clips option - but there isn't any "remove all gaps" feature.

How many clips are "a bunch?"

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Identifying the gaps can be a pain - expanding the track helps.

Dafydd

[Thumb - SD-2013-02-1575.png]
 Filename
SD-2013-02-1575.png
[Disk]
 Description
Expanding and deleting gaps
 Filesize
79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2013 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 06. 2015 02:57

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's a handy trick! I hadn't noticed that before, and it should save some time and be very accurate compared to manually dragging each clip forward until it snaps into place.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Zorikh asked how to remove all the identified gaps in one go. I have tried, but have only achieved one at a time.

Is it possible to remove more than one gap at a time? If so how, please. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Zorikh asked how to remove all the identified gaps in one go. I have tried, but have only achieved one at a time.

Is it possible to remove more than one gap at a time? If so how, please.

Yes, we know. Optodata has answered him I believe. Identifying all gaps that need deleting can be a pain and the image shows a means to expand and locate gaps (manual deletion). There is no multiple gap delete option available.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 06. 2015 06:28

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry. completely over read that. Please accept my apologies.
Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Not a problem. I'm always pleased to read your valued contribution to this forum. I have done the same thing myself, miss-reading something or other at times. I tend to skim read long threads trying to pick out the important bits.
Dafydd
Zorikh [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 05, 2015 20:33 Messages: 99 Offline
[Post New]
Thans, folks. There were, like, 25 or so gaps that I wanted to delete. I wound up dong them one-by-one, as you said. I thought maybe you might be able so "shift-cllick" multiple gaps, as you can clips, but no luck.

I must say that I am pleased so far with the function of "delete a gap" because it saves the time and headache of making sure you grab all the clips to move them at once to fill a gap, then realizing many steps later that a sound track is now out of synch because you failed to grap it when you moved everything, and other issues. It is one of several shortcuts and conveniences that PD13 has over Adobe Premiere CS3 (which is what I had ben using) Zorikh
Kivork [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 29, 2015 03:59 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Dear Powerdirector developers, I am a loyal and heavy PD user for many years, I always officially bought or upgraded the Powerdirector and I love the software but why it is so that for many years I read all community forums and customer needs or suggestions are not developed in the next versions. I have the feeling that no one is listening to the customer needs or changes they need for the next version, come on guys, you as a software developer for you should not be a problem at all to program at least some of the customers suggestions in the next version. You have developt such wonderful video editing software which beats all others in the market why not to make it even better and better. We as customer are not asking impossible things to be done. Few times I suggested some changes to be done for the next version which I very often use but nothing was done since PD13, I tested the PD14 and 15 I did not see any significant new features therefore I stopped suggesting and even I am not upgrading my PD13 unless I see some really new features. My wishlist of changes are long, but they are usefull changes because we the customers are working every day with Powerdirector and we know what we need, so why not make our life easier to edit video. I compared Powerdirector with many other video editing software, magix, vegas, pinnacle, Premiere etc. etc. and realized some of the feature the customers are asking from Powerdirector already exists. In my opinion PD still needs a lot of improvement. I you want your software to become number 1 and the best of the best then please listen to the customers need and put them in your next new versions.

Now coming back to deleting the gaps, imagine I have a 30 minutes of video clip and made 50 splits and deleted unwanted parts, I will have 50 gaps, don't you think deleting those gaps one by one is a pain on the neck, so I have to click 50 times all those gaps and delete them one by one, how much time I have to spend to delete those 50 gaps. I know there is a function by right mouse click and select (Remove and move clips on the same track) but that's not a solution to select this function for 50 times, it was even acceptable if there was a shortkey for this funtion. Is it so difficult for you as a software developer to add a funtion to select all those gaps and delete them all at once.

Thanks for your understanding and hopefully I see some requested features in the new versions, until then I will still keep using the PD13 and not upgrade.
SmoothPlay [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 28, 2017 09:17 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Dear Powerdirector developers, I am a loyal and heavy PD user for many years, I always officially bought or upgraded the Powerdirector and I love the software but why it is so that for many years I read all community forums and customer needs or suggestions are not developed in the next versions. I have the feeling that no one is listening to the customer needs or changes they need for the next version, come on guys, you as a software developer for you should not be a problem at all to program at least some of the customers suggestions in the next version. You have developt such wonderful video editing software which beats all others in the market why not to make it even better and better. We as customer are not asking impossible things to be done. Few times I suggested some changes to be done for the next version which I very often use but nothing was done since PD13, I tested the PD14 and 15 I did not see any significant new features therefore I stopped suggesting and even I am not upgrading my PD13 unless I see some really new features. My wishlist of changes are long, but they are usefull changes because we the customers are working every day with Powerdirector and we know what we need, so why not make our life easier to edit video. I compared Powerdirector with many other video editing software, magix, vegas, pinnacle, Premiere etc. etc. and realized some of the feature the customers are asking from Powerdirector already exists. In my opinion PD still needs a lot of improvement. I you want your software to become number 1 and the best of the best then please listen to the customers need and put them in your next new versions.

Now coming back to deleting the gaps, imagine I have a 30 minutes of video clip and made 50 splits and deleted unwanted parts, I will have 50 gaps, don't you think deleting those gaps one by one is a pain on the neck, so I have to click 50 times all those gaps and delete them one by one, how much time I have to spend to delete those 50 gaps. I know there is a function by right mouse click and select (Remove and move clips on the same track) but that's not a solution to select this function for 50 times, it was even acceptable if there was a shortkey for this funtion. Is it so difficult for you as a software developer to add a funtion to select all those gaps and delete them all at once.

Thanks for your understanding and hopefully I see some requested features in the new versions, until then I will still keep using the PD13 and not upgrade.

This is pretty much the reason I will stop using CyberLink. I was happy till now. This is an huge problem when doing certain kind of jobs. And I will have to look manually to each gap that will take so much time. That's crazy.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Smooth

Have you looked at the project in Storyline view? The gaps will show up as blanks. It will take much less time to detete the gaps.

Please tell us why you have so many gaps and what "certain kinds of jobes" are. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
SmoothPlay [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 28, 2017 09:17 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Smooth

Have you looked at the project in Storyline view? The gaps will show up as blanks. It will take much less time to detete the gaps.

Please tell us why you have so many gaps and what "certain kinds of jobes" are.

Thanks for the reply.
And you're right, I didn't check the Storyline View so that must be a much easier way to do that. Thanks.
One job example is cutting 4h of video into 30minutes for example. Where I'll cut what doesn't matter but still want to keep it, and all that useless material but still needs to be together. There should be a easier and automatic way to do that without having to order it piece by piece or deleting gap by gap.
Anyway, I noticed that other editing programs like Sony Vegas also miss this feature unless you use some external non offical plugin, so I decided that I'll stick with PowerDirector anyway.