Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cache Location
[Post New]
Hi

This is my first go at some videography especially with regards to an almost two hours HD movie. I purchased a SSD 128GB after my old Sata drive died and to speed things up I have PD13 loaded on there. During editing things were definately faster, but when I wanted to produce a FHD 24fps video it bombs out somewhere along the line and mentions not being able to write to cache. I suspected that I might have ran out of space so I changed the output directory to a larger drive so casching would be all using space on the ssd but the same happened. I suspect the cascing process might be filling up the SSD, is there a way of changing where Caches to during production? I have my photoediting software, windows 7 as well as my office suite loaded on the ssd which leaves me with about 60gb on the ssd Don't blame your gear, most often it's the fool behind the tool
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Haaaan007 -

I have my PDR installed on C Drive & have no SSDs, so this information won't be specific to you but you may be able to use it to work out the folder location.

Here, the cache files are stored at C:\Users\Tony\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\MediaCache

If you go a little deeper in C:\Users\Tony\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\13.0 there are photo Tmp & WaveForms folders that can be emptied.

Also, in Preferences > General you can manually delete temporary files.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 05. 2015 15:01

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Thanks Tony. I'm aware of the current location but due to the limited space on my ssd on which pd13 is installed I would like to move only the cache directory for processing this longer film if its even possible. Ekse I will have to reinstall on my larger drive to render this project. Don't blame your gear, most often it's the fool behind the tool
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Oh sorry - I must have misread your post.

If there's a way to change the directory I don't know it embarassed Hopefully someone else can help.

What's the size of your Media Cache folder? I don't think the Output file path is related. I reset my output folder for new projects, but the cache & temp folders don't change as a result.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
The reason I changed the output file is because the FHD 2hour vid mpeg4 has a size of about 40gig. My ssd has 60gig free before I start rendering so I suspect cache on top of the output file fills up the space. This is why I firstly changed the output folder to free up space,but I suspect cache is still overflowing. Im currently rendering a 8gb dvd image and then I will work up to the high quality again and lastly reinstall on a larger drive. Being able to move cache might solve the issue. My PC isn't lightning and is quite old. Intel quad core,the type before the i generation of processors. 4gb ddr3 1333mhz. 1gb 128bit geforce gpu Don't blame your gear, most often it's the fool behind the tool
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Haaaan007, are your source media files on a different drive than your SSD? PD will create hidden Preview Cache Files, ShadowEditFiles and SplitterIndex subfolders in the main folder where your source clips are, and depending on your settings in PD they can take up more room that you might be expecting.

Also, you can set the TEMP and TMP environment variables for Windows and your user account to be somewhere other than your C: drive.

You might also not have enough RAM, or your Windows paging file might be involved. Can you please follow the steps in this *thread* and post parts A and B?

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
A: PD13 Ultimate 64bit V. 13.0.2907.0
 Filename
DxDiagHaaaan.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
475 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiagHaaaan64bit.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
35 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
549 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 07. 2015 13:32

Don't blame your gear, most often it's the fool behind the tool
[Post New]
What I am currently doing differently that might work is the following. I divided the different chapters into different projects, 8 in total. They all rendered successfully. Tonight I will connect those 8 into the final product and hopefully when I get to my PC in the morning it would've been successful.

I think due to various formats due to various devices used on our vacation, the automatic selection with SVRT might have messed up a bit, allowing fast video rendering tech when certain segments weren't compatible with it. The files for the final run are all identical so it should lighten the load on my limited resourced pc. Will update tomorrow. Don't blame your gear, most often it's the fool behind the tool
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much for posting your DxDiag results. They show that your system will struggle to produce HD video for many reasons: you have 4GB of RAM, but 8GB or more is really needed for big projects; as these performance charts show, your *CPU* is going to be working really hard to get through each session; and your poor *GPU* is way out of its league. Sorry for the bad news

To be perfectly honest, your system is not powerful enough for HD video editing. Again in all honesty, the best thing to do would be to get a new system rather than trying to upgrade your existing computer because so much has changed since it was new in 2008.

ANYTHING you buy off the shelf today would be far better equipped, and if you were able to get something with an i7 CPU, a GTX 960 video card and 16GB RAM along with your SSD you'd have a drastically improved experience when editing/producing video and doing everything else.

I don't know if that's in your budget, but I think you should look around and see if you can find something reasonable. There are many threads here on the forum with advice about components and feel free to ask if you have any general or specific questions.

If a new computer isn't something you can get right away, I'd suggest keeping your projects small and letting PD run overnight like you've suggested. You can turn off SVRT if you don't think it's working well, but chances are your projects will take even longer to produce. That may help with the cache issues, though.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

[Post New]
I can't agree more that a new system would be ideal, but since I'm a hobbyist and more serious towards photography I can't currently afford to spend 1000 USD, which is a lot in South Africa. I'm actually quite surprised at how well it does run on the system after I turned down the quality of the previews etc. The only time I get issues playing back is when I fiddled quite a bit with the power tools etc. It definitely requires some patience but I can still get Full HD results at 60 fps. Mostly my vids are no longer than 5-10min but this is s less sumarised version of our vacation, thus close to two hours. Im going to run it now with the seperate videos I rendered successfully and hopefully have good news tomorow. With regards to the SVRT, only two segments of my vid wasn't compatible with it when I rendered each day seperately, but all should be good now at FHD 24fps mp4.

Hopefully I get a bonus at work this year and can upgrade my tower to an I5 system at least. Don't blame your gear, most often it's the fool behind the tool
[Post New]
I am happy to report the splitting up and separate processing of the various days of our trip did the trick. It put the 9 chapters/days together into a single 38gb MP4 file without a hitch. I think the problem was all the resources required to render the various power tools, transitions and enhancements added. Doing it seperately and then combining it at the end left PD13 to only combine 9 files with nothing added, it also took the time down from 9hours to 1.5hours although the overall process took some time. The whole project consists of more than 400 snippets and photos so the PC now only had to deal with 9 videos with nothing added.

I would say the top solution would be to get a system that is better equipped to deal with HD video rendering, if an upgrade doesn't agree with your financial situation at the time, split the project into seperate pieces(chapters or days or whatever floats your boat), then after all has been rendered separately combine them in one project and render for the final project Don't blame your gear, most often it's the fool behind the tool
optodata
[Post New]
Good advice, and I'm happy to hear that you've found a good way to work with your project.

Thanks for sharing your results with the forum, too

YouTube/optodata