Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Linking clips
Peter2014 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Adelaide Joined: Nov 22, 2014 00:59 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I sometimes film concerts which last an hour, and the Panasonic camera cuts the footage into say 3 x 3.99GB files. If I load these into PowerDirector 13, and then put them in line in the timeline, when I play over the joins there is a slight gap in both audio and video. It's still there if I render the clips. It spoils the end product - surely there is a way round this? If I record the audio separately and then replace the camera audio with the separate one, the audio problem goes away but there is still a slight freeze on the video. Any solutions? Peter
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Peter

Have you tried stitching them together with software like "tsmuxer" I read once that adding one file to another and then muxing it results in a seamless file. Might be worth a try. I can't guarantee it will work. I think it might work because after filming 4gb the camera doesn't actually stop filming, just breaks the file up - I think that is right, but could be wrong.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 04. 2015 07:09

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Peter2014 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Adelaide Joined: Nov 22, 2014 00:59 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Shadowman,

Funnily enough a friend of mine has just come up with a probable solution, which is on the same lines as your suggestion. I used to capture all film clips from the camera using Panasonic's proprietary software HD Writer AE. Then I discovered PowerDirector, which is much better, and ditched HD Writer. However, I now realise that if you capture with HD Writer, it will stitch the clips together, and then you can import them to PowerDirector.

I'm working on that at the moment.

Thanks for your comment,

Peter

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 04. 2015 07:21

Peter
cuartetto [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 28, 2011 20:22 Messages: 168 Offline
[Post New]
Here's how to combine the clips in DOS.

How to combine MTS files into one large file.Here is where we talked about importing more than one video file without audio or video drops on a continuous shot. Go to command prompt, enter drive, hit enter, type in path where files are stored enter. Type dir enter, the files should show if you have the correct directory, then add the command line below So for the current concert you would type copy 00319.mts /b + 00320.mts / b + 00321.mts /b + 00322.mts /b + 00323.mts /b + 00324.mts /b + 00325.mts /b skylounge.mts Copy and paste this into a command window when your current directory is where the source files are. Then import skylounge.mts.As the files are combined, the file name will show on the screen. When all files are listed, the process is complete.

These instructions are for combining with skylounge.mts files.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 04. 2015 10:32

Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: How to combine MTS files into one large file.

Good tip.

I've never tried it with video files but I've certainly used this method with audio files and it works brilliantly. I couldn't believe it would when I first came across the tip some years ago when I was trying to combine several dozen mp3's into a single file. You don't have to name all the files being combined as the wildcard '*' works with the copy command. I put all files into a single folder and then open the cmd prompt there. I use Irfanview to rename all my files sequentially before starting so that e.g. I've got audio1.mp3 , audio2.mp3 etc etc.

The command " copy audio*.mp3 /B fullaudio.mp3 " would then concatenate all the files into a single file in the same folder.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I think the concatenating approach will proably take care of this, but I'm curious as to why there are gaps in the first place.
Quote: ... 3 x 3.99GB files. If I load these into PowerDirector 13, and then put them in line in the timeline, when I play over the joins there is a slight gap in both audio and video.
What happens if you zoom all the way in at the junction of two clips? Do you see the clips actually touching each other or is there a clear gap? Under the gear (Settings) menu, on the Editing tab do you have Enable snap to clips in timeline checked?

If you look closely at the ends of the adjoining clips, does the video track end slightly earlier or later than its associated audio track, or are they both in a clean vertical line? A screenshot would be a great way to share exactly what you're seeing.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
optodata.

I think the subtle difference here is that these Panny cameras continuously record long sequences. However, when the file size reaches 4gb the camera creates a file, but does not stop recording. Clearly, from what Peter2014 states, Panny's proprietary software HD Writer AE recognises the gap in in the file and plays it as one file.

It would seem that PD13 sees them as two distinct clips and plays them separately, which as we know will result with a minute break in the audio. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
My Canon GF30 does the same thing at the same file size, but each clip lines up correctly and plays continuously across the boundaries when placed end to end in the timeline.

I'm glad that the Panasonic app can address the problem, although I'd still like to see a close-up view of the clips in the timeline.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
In the past, I have outline the procedure to fix the problem on Sony and Panasonic camcorder avchd videos. I guess the Canon version of avchd must be okay in PowerDirector since it works for you.

The HD Writer AE software puts the time codes on the subtitle track as an added bonus. Simply toggle subtitle on your BD player to view it. The produced video is continuous without any breaks in audio or hesitation in video. Import that into PD13 and it will be fine.