Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Importing DVD; glitch between VOB files
Dean L. Surkin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 03, 2015 09:50 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I am a new user, and am importing some home-made DVDs. I have copied the VOB files to a folder on my hard disk, import them into PowerDirector 13, and then move the files to the timeline. When I try playing back the entire timeline, there is a momentary glitch between each of the VOB files. The VOB files start and end times match up at each of the transitions. These are recordings of musical performances, and the glitches are quite noticeable. I do not notice any glitches when playing back from the DVDs.

I have the most recent patched version of PowerDirector 13. My computer is Windows 7 - 64 bit, with all the latest updates. It's an I7 core with 32 GB RAM. The hard drives are a Samsung SSD for programs and a WD large drive for data.

I'd appreciate any help. Dean L. Surkin
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Dean,
welcome to the forum of volunteers.
If you are experiencing that hiccup between files I suspect it's just in the preview.
Try test-producing the vobs together and then see if your resulting file still has that bump, I'll bet it runs clean.
Please let us know, and we'll see if there is an issue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 03. 2015 10:35

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Dean L. Surkin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Barry: I produced the files as an AVI file, and then tried to play it back in PowerDirector 13. I hear the glitch and can see a glitch (a half second freeze in the video portion).

I tried concatenating the same clips in my old copy of Vegas Movie Studio 9.0, and there were no glitches. This is very disappointing, that the newer, 64-bit software should produce worse results. Can you help, please? Dean L. Surkin
[Post New]
Importação de DVD; falha entre VOB

I do not know if it is exactly your case.

Here I always had a small crash at the junction of VOB files.

The solution for me, use DVD Shrink to rip (copy) the DVD to a folder on your PC.

In preferences I uncheck the box, Split vob files into 1 Gb size ...

So I always have a single file for editing

note:

In PD13 whenever possible use Intelligent SVRT, so the same quality as the original DVD and kept in my project.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 09. 2015 12:25

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Dean L. Surkin [Avatar]
[Post New]
PlaySound:
Thanks for your suggestion; it sounds like you had the same problem. I will try that and report back. Dean L. Surkin
Dean L. Surkin [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tried downloading and installing DVD Shrink, and my anti-virus program identified a hidden payload. I'll try a different solution.

I installed Handbreak. It worked like a charm, and the file came into PowerDirector without any glitches.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 03. 2015 18:55

Dean L. Surkin
Chris965678 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Jul 30, 2014 00:27 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Oh Dear! That old VOB problem (poor 'joining' between vob files) is still there!

I had the problem with Powerdirector 13 over a year ago which was one of the reasons I stopped my subscription. The other reason was jittery panning on 'produced' files when the picture has lots of detail (haven't looked to see if this is fixed yet).

Today I thought I'd try PowerDirector 14 but the VOB problem still exists so it's a 'no-sale' from me, sadly.

I know this doesn't help anybody that's suffering with the problem but at least you know you're not alone and it's not the fault of your imagination!

Although dissapointed I have to say that PowerDirector is one of the most stable and fastest video editing programmes around (once you get used to it!) so it's a great pity that these basic problems haven't been addressed.

Can't wait to try out 15 !!!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Oh Dear! That old VOB problem (poor 'joining' between vob files) is still there!

I had the problem with Powerdirector 13 over a year ago which was one of the reasons I stopped my subscription. The other reason was jittery panning on 'produced' files when the picture has lots of detail (haven't looked to see if this is fixed yet).

Today I thought I'd try PowerDirector 14 but the VOB problem still exists so it's a 'no-sale' from me, sadly.Can't wait to try out 15 !!!

The fix could be right under your nose. I remember years ago consumer NLE can rip a non commercial disc. PD is no exception. Ripping a 4.7 GB 2 hour DVD took only a few minutes with PoweDirector. The captured file is continuous with no breaks.

Let us know if you find any problems.
Chris965678 [Avatar]
[Post New]
tomasc, thanks for your reply.

You say that PD should have no problems so can you tell me the way YOU would do it, perhaps I'm going about this the wrong way.

I import each VOB file using File / Import / Media Files. I move them to the timeline then 'produce' them but I get a poor join between files. I can't say for certain whether additional frames are inserted or missing but the sound dissapears for a fraction of a second before the end of each VOB segment, although the audio track still shows signs of audio.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Sure. PD allows you to rip a dvd. Put a dvd in your pc dvd drive. Open PD. Go to File/Capture. It should say Loading Disc. You should see a set of vcr control buttons on the left. Just below that is the Capture Preferences. Check those square checkboxes. Click on the vcr play button on the left and you see the menu or whatever. Click the stop button. Click the far left red button to create single contigeous mpeg-2 file. This should just take a few minutes.

Let us know if this helps.
Chris965678 [Avatar]
[Post New]
tomasc, thanks once again.

I tried your suggestion, and yes, this seems to work with a standard DVD.

What I now realise I forgot to mention is that most of the DVDs are stored on a network drive, there does not seem to be a facility to 'capture' from anything other than "external or optical drive" other than webcam, screen etc. using this more useful facility - that you suggested.

I thought that I could burn them back to a DVD and try using the usual 'capture' function, as you suggested, but this would be very time consuming considering the number of possible files that I could need for a project.

Unless, once again, I'm missing the finer detail!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Select the drive and folder for capture froma HD of a DVD/BD folder structure, you don't have to burn a disc.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD14_Capture.png]
 Filename
PD14_Capture.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
17 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
105 time(s)
Chris965678 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Great! That Jeff, seems to do the trick. I didn't notice the option to change file location!

It does seem slightly more long-winded to 'capture' rather than just pull straight in as 'import / media files' but it does work (but see below).

PD wouldn't 'see' the DVD files at first but I instantly realised that it expects the files to be in a 'VIDEO_TS' folder.

Unfortunately I now seem to have a lip sync problem that gets progressively worse as the rendered file continues (2 hrs 17 min long). In this instance I'm 'producing' the file as MPEG-4 640x320 25fps (same frame rate as the original). It appears fine when played in the editor preview window.

Also tried DVD HQ 720x576/50i - same problem...

Once again I'm hoping you guys could give me another opportunity to eat yet more humble pie!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 20. 2016 14:39

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: PD wouldn't 'see' the DVD files at first but I instantly realised that it expects the files to be in a 'VIDEO_TS' folder.

I'm not sure I understand your comment. It is a media capture, by definition any video DVD must have a VIDEO_TS folder, that's the DVD video standard. Likewise a BDMV folder for AVCHD on DVD or a basic BD. Are you implying your stored DVD's, either physical media or a hard disk rip of your personal videos, don't have the proper folder structure? I'm not seeing that a fault of PD media capture, the capture media needs to have the standard file structure, PD or CL didn’t establish that, the software capture just complies with file structure standards.

Is the sync issue apparant in the capture or just whatever you are doing after the capture?

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 20. 2016 20:08

Chris965678 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I shouldn't have mentioned the "VIDEO_TS" folder, it's just caused confusion and is irrelevant! Please ignore that comment!

To cut a long story short; I can 'capture' from the DVD, the captured file is fine, no noticeable sync problems.

When I 'Produce' a new video (from the captured file), the lip sync problem is very much apparent. After around two hours of 'produced' movie video is in excess of one second behind sound.

The sync problem is not apparent when played in the editing preview window, it's only the produced file that has problems.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 23. 2016 04:05

ozpanda-penny [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 15, 2016 20:45 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
It is great to have a fix for ripping DVD content to get rid of the glitch, but most camcorders tend to record long video files and save them in 1GB file segments to suit older operating systems.

How do I fix the problem when I have multiple MTS files from a long HD camcorder recording that I was to seamlessly join in PowerDirector?
dave_van_damn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 15, 2019 02:32 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry for the necrobump, but it seems this problem still exists in PD 17 - how ridiculous!

Anyway, does anyone know if the method by tomasc quoted below re-encodes the video? I assumed not, but when I used his method, the file size of the resulting MPEG was about 20mb smaller than the .VOB and the bit rate was ever so slightly smaller; the PD imported file is 8734kps but the original VOB was 8886kps (both according to mediainfo).

So it appears to be reencoded, but perhaps someone can shed light on this?

Thanks!

Quote Sure. PD allows you to rip a dvd. Put a dvd in your pc dvd drive. Open PD. Go to File/Capture. It should say Loading Disc. You should see a set of vcr control buttons on the left. Just below that is the Capture Preferences. Check those square checkboxes. Click on the vcr play button on the left and you see the menu or whatever. Click the stop button. Click the far left red button to create single contigeous mpeg-2 file. This should just take a few minutes.

Let us know if this helps.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 13. 2020 06:32