Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector13 Install Directory
justabloke69 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 02, 2015 02:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
So I have tried to change it 3 times now (uninstalling after every install) but PD13 continues to install it to C:\ dispite me asking it to install to E:\ (my C is an SSD that is small and kept for stuff that needs that speed like games).

Any idea how to force it to install to a differect drive or to move it once installed?
Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi justabloke69,
I have the same problem (too, my C drive is an SSD) - I could not install PD13 to a different disk drive than C. - quite annoying.
I look forward to coming qualified hints in response to your question.
Cheers, Anja PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
NonnyM [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 04, 2012 13:40 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
Just a sideways thought. The reason I purchased a SSD was to speedup PD when editing and rendering.

So it might be worth upgrading to a larger SSD ?

I put all my Clips, photos, music into a project folder on the SSD and let PD13 do its own thing. Once it has found the links, it seems to work (reasonably) quickly for me.

Rgds Win 7 Home SP 1, PD 13
Processor i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), (RAM) 8.00 GB, Sys Drive 120 gig SSD, Data Drive 1 Terrabyte, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ii , Portable USB3 2 Terrabyte

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
PD13 likes to reside on the same drive that windows sits on. Your SSD needs to be your drive C. Win 10, i7
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I hadn't heard that the installer wouldn't honor a request to install PD on a different drive. I certainly understand why you'd all want to do that with a smallish C: drive, but fortunately there are actually two simple ways to do this

The simplest method is to install PD to the C:\ drive and then install all of the content packs to a separate drive. This is how I always install PD. Depending on which version you purchased, the core PD folders will take up to ~850MB, while the content packs can exceed 10GB!

When PD is installed in C:\Program Files\Cyberlink, it will run much faster than if it was installed on a hard disk. However, all that data in the content packs can go onto a hard drive without slowing anything down.

To make this change, simply uninstall the content packs and then choose a different drive when you reinstall them. That would save 90% of the space that PD was taking on your SSD. Obviously, you'd want to move all the Windows libraries (My Docs, Pictures, etc.) off of your SSD as well, but be sure you have a plan to back them up in case of a drive failure!

If you really can't afford to have PD take up any space on your C: drive, you can actually move the C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector13 folder to another drive, then create an *NTFS symbolic link* to link the physical location of folders and files to where Windows expects them to be.

You will probably need to be logged in as an Administrator to move, delete or copy anything in the protected Program Files folder, and here are the steps:

1. Open Windows Explorer (aka File Explorer in Win8.1) and navigate to C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector13 like this:

2. MOVE (or copy, then delete the original) the PowerDirector13 folder and all subfolders to your desired drive. Let's say it's now at D:\PowerDirector13

3. Open an Administrator-level command prompt and type CD "\Program Files\Cyberlink" (including the quotes)

4. Type mklink /D PowerDirector13 D:\PowerDirector13 and hit Enter. The first item after the /D MUST be typed exactly as shown, because that's the folder that Windows is looking for. Your destination folder can be called anything you like, however if your destination folder has any spaces in it, like D:\Linked Programs\PD13, you'd enclose that whole section in quotes like this: mklink /D PowerDirector13 "D:\Linked Programs\PD13"

5. You should now see a shortcut arrow indicating a link to the new folder location:

6. Close the command prompt, and launch PD13. Everything should run normally and PD is no longer installed on your C:\ drive!

The good news is that the symbolic link is permanent. Even if you were to uninstall PD, anything going into the C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector13 folder will ALWAYS be installed wherever the link points. It's bascially set and forget

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 14. 2015 14:24

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
justabloke69 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 02, 2015 02:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks optodata, very much appreciated.