Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Speech-to-text, Subtitle, VPAT
instructionaldesigner612 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: na Joined: Jun 12, 2015 12:50 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I have three questions:

1) Does PowerDirector have a speech-to-text function similar to Camtasia?

2) Has anyone had any issues with getting the subtitle marker to work? I click the play button, then subtitle marker button below the preview, but I don't see a change in the interface? This makes me wonder if I am skipping a step.

3) I am also in search of the Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) about CyberLink Director.

Thank you for all the assistance.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi instructionaldesigner612 -

I'll jump in, even though I'm a little unclear on the overall purpose of your questions. Understanding that would affect the response.

PDR has no speech to text function like Camtasia Studio. It makes use of the Microsoft speech-to-text software and integrates in into the Camtasia Studio interface to generate subtitles. This *video* shows how. To do this in PDR, you could generate the subtitles separately and import them into PDR. Once you have the text generated as a .txt file it can be imported into the Subtitle room.

To generate markers in the subtitle room, play through the video & click the + button for the start of each subtitle. These can be modified later in position & duration. Two things should occur in the PDR: 1. a blue subtitle marker appears 2. a new (blank) subtitle is generated.

I'm not aware of any VPAT for PDR (I'd never even heard of a VPAT till just now), but you could certainly get answers to the appropriate questions in this forum. *Here's* a generic VPAT form - the questions on software applications are the appropriate ones.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 12. 2015 15:02

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Tony,

Thank you so much for replying so quickly and including a thorough response. This answers all of my questions. I am testing CyberLink PowerDirector for captioning capabilities.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 12. 2015 15:55

jcardana
Senior Contributor Location: USA-NM Joined: Aug 04, 2014 10:11 Messages: 650 Offline
[Post New]
I've tinkered with subtitles...

I used Microsoft's built-in Speech software and created a new text file on my desktop. I then read the script. After some time consuming copy & paste, I got it to work but it was so time consuming I haven't done it again. CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

My Video Editing Computer
| My DirectX Diagnostics

PowerDirector 15.0.2820.0 | PhotoDirector 7.0.7504.0 | AudioDirector 6.0.5902.0 | ColorDirector 4.0.4627.0 | Power2Go 9.0.2602.0

Sutter Hill SDA Church
| Anadrac_Organ_Works | My_Youtube_Channel
[Post New]
Jcardana,

Thank you for responding and including the steps you took.
WilliamD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 19, 2014 20:07 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi instructionaldesigner612 -

I'll jump in, even though I'm a little unclear on the overall purpose of your questions. Understanding that would affect the response.

PDR has no speech to text function like Camtasia Studio. It makes use of the Microsoft speech-to-text software and integrates in into the Camtasia Studio interface to generate subtitles. This *video* shows how. To do this in PDR, you could generate the subtitles separately and import them into PDR. Once you have the text generated as a .txt file it can be imported into the Subtitle room. Cheers - Tony

Very informative. I am also looking at good speech to text tools that will streamline the close captioning process. For what it's worth, YouTube actually does a fair job but you of course have to upload your video to youtube to use it and if that is not your intended final destination, then it is not a lot of use, except you can download the captioning and use elsewhere ... so perhaps one can use Youtube to create your captioning text download it and then put it back in your PDR project and re-render. ;

Anyway, I went to the video link you gave for speech to text on Camtasia but that link seemed to be a whole bunch of videos for that software, none of which I can find is specific to speech to text. Can you be a bit more specific on that link?? Thanks again for your quite informative post.