Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Bitrate for theatrical projection
david445 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 30, 2012 05:28 Messages: 129 Offline
[Post New]
My produced videos will be projection into a 14x6 mt screen inside a theatre.

They will be of course all FullHD 1080, but since they are starting from stock material the original bitrate is variable.

What's the min bit rate I need to use to have a good looking result? 9Mbps? 16? More?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi David,

I assume the video will be played from a laptop or other device... or is it via a separate player connected to the projector?

I've produced quite a few videos for projection and have never even considered that bitrate would be an important factor for projection. The important thing is that the produced video plays smoothly in whatever player is being used.

You've mentioned "theatrical" - is there stage lighting involved? Oh yes - I remember now. Dancers.

"Stock" material? Do you mean motion background type clips? If there's not much fast motion, a lower bitrate will be just fine. Essentially, if it looks good & plays well on your PC it'll be fine.

e.g. I recently made a video on be projected on a wall in a reception room (not even a proper screen) - it was surfing footage with no audio. I produced to m2ts 1920x1080 @ 10MBps, set it to loop in the player on my laptop & it looked spectacular. The only thing I did differently for projection was to beef up the video sharpness & contrast a bit.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
david445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Stock mean nature clips.
I did find only 3.5-4.5 Mbps clips, so I'm wondering if its enough.
On my PC looks good but will discover in reality only Monday on the screen, the event is at the end of the week prefer to know if need to search for something different.
Any suggestion for free nature high bitrate clips?
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know how realistic this is, but take a screen shot and enlarge the image on your computer to see how badly it pixelates. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

I've produced quite a few videos for projection and have never even considered that bitrate would be an important factor for projection. The important thing is that the produced video plays smoothly in whatever player is being used.

"Stock" material? Do you mean motion background type clips? If there's not much fast motion, a lower bitrate will be just fine. Essentially, if it looks good & plays well on your PC it'll be fine.

I use projection all the time in the classroom. From an i5 laptop on to a Smartboard. PowerPoint, .flv, gifs, .swf, video formats in different bitrates and size; whatever shows on the laptop is being projected as is. I often have to compress PowerPoints; no difference in quality.

As for free footage; spending some time searching you will find stuff here and there, CC-stuff or offers by companies. Sometimes I need a bit of footage I know I can't shoot myself due to my location on the globe smile. I find it conveniant once or twice to pay up for offers when they pop up and spend time downloading. This way I will have a good library to dive in to. A quick search today took me *here - no idea what you will be able to get out of it.

- Nina
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
david445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks all for your suggestions.

I will connect a laptop to the theatre projector.

Another problem is what video mix sw use to create a playlist of video, photo, songs on a MacBookPro (need to use that due to requested interface). On my Win laptop I tested vMix and worked fine, didnt know what can be the (cheap) equivalent on MacOS.