Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is there any way to add chapter points without generating menu pages?
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
I suspect I already know the answer to this so I'm posting this question more in hope than expectation:-

What I'd like to do is add chapter points to a video or slideshow so that users can use the skip buttons on their players to move forwards and back a section at a time rather than having to fast-forward/backward.

I've done this successfully with the third-party authoring program that I use for making standard DVDs but when I try to do it with PD's menu creation utility it just generates lots of extra menu pages of thumbnails for the chapter points. I can't see any way to prevent it doing this and suspect that it isn't possible but if anyone knows a way I'd be very grateful. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
In the Create Disc/Memu Preferences, select the No Menu option. Create as many chapters as you want and they can skip forward and backward using the remote control.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Hello again tomasc,

If I do that I believe I literally get no menu pages at all and therefore no way of selecting which title to play. According to the manual:-

"Note: if you do not want to include a menu on your burned disc, select the No Menu template in the menu library. When you play the burned disc, it will automatically start playing the first title/scene."

What I really need is an option to select No Chapter Pages, similar to the one for subtitles (i.e. "the Subtitles page in a disc menu is only available if you selected Create subtitles for disc when creating subtitles in the Subtitle Room."), but the chapter room doesn't appear to offer that option.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 02. 2015 11:23

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
This old trick may suite your needs somewhat. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/14774.page

How is one playing your creation to know there are hidden skip to sections and what they actually skip to?

Jeff
Fenman
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

That's a sneaky workaround! Unfortunately I don't think it will solve my problem. In the standard DVD version of the project, authored with the stand-alone program, I have 34 chapter points in one title and 50 in the other**. Even with the maximum allowable number of 14 buttons per page that would mean an awful lot of apparently empty pages. Also, if I've interpreted your method correctly and "hidden" chapters can only be accessed by number, it would presumably be impossible to access any numbered greater than 9.

** The second title is a slideshow with a chapter point for every image to allow the user to skip one image at a time. This works beautifully on the standard DVD but is impossible to implement with PowerDirector.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 02. 2015 15:28

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
** The second title is a slideshow with a chapter point for every image to allow the user to skip one image at a time. This works beautifully on the standard DVD but is impossible to implement with PowerDirector.

What are you refering to as the standard DVD?? My own BD projects have multiple titles and each title can have many chapters. Okay, you want to hide all those chapters. Okay. I just remembered. There is a way to do that with another software. You have editing but need to buy authoring software.
Fenman
[Post New]
You got it. I have a third-party program to author ordinary standard-definition DVDs but it won't author Blu-Ray discs so I have to use PD for that. I've been looking for something that will author Blu-Ray but so far I haven't found anything that isn't either horrendously complex and expensive or as basic as PD.

Edit: This will give you an idea of the kind of control I've got with the stand-alone editor. This is the root menu page, the only page in this project. I've defined three buttons, button 1 to play the video, button 2 to play the slideshow and button 3 to play them both in sequence. The buttons are about 90% transparent until selected in the player. I can now link these buttons to almost anything I choose. In the case shown I am linking button 2 to the slideshow start but I could, in principle, link it to any of the listed chapter points. All these are added and edited in the authoring program itself - I don't have to do it in PD. I could link a button to another menu page on which I've created buttons linked to selected chapters and then link a button on that page back to the root menu or to any other menu page I've created. In the player the user could then use the skip buttons on their remote to jump forward or back a chapter at a time or navigate to the chapter menu, select a button to jump to the chapter it's linked to and then continue to skip from there. I can also program how the navigation highlighting responds to the player navigation buttons, i.e. the sequence in which it moves around the buttons on a page, including wrapping-round from the last to the first and create a different sequence when using the left/right keys from the up/down keys. This is just a flavour of what this program can do.

Edit,Edit: and it does it all without EVER crashing!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 02. 2015 16:39

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system: