Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Encoding 4k Crashes
AndyCr15 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: London Joined: May 28, 2015 03:50 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I have some 4K footage, shot on a Galaxy S6, around 7 clips totalling 2:30, but it seems to crash around a third of the way in when encoding. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm trying to encode it to.

I'm updated to the latest patch from a few days back.

It also seems to freeze another video encoding program I use, could it be the footage is corrupt? I can play them all...
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andy

What you need is the use of "shadow Files", but they are terribly slow to create.

Consider downloading the Format Factory (free) and converting them that way.

See this post, particularly the item by "ynotfish" It may seem complicated, but believe me it's easy and will allow you to work 4K files easily.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/43102.page Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
AndyCr15 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, looks a simple enough process. I'm not convinced that will help when the processing is done, as the 4K files are back in place?
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Providing your PC is up to the job PD is very good at rendering 4K files. In my experience it's just the editing that's a problem. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
AndyCr15 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I installed PD on a different (slower, older) machine and it managed to encode the files. There must be some kind of issue with my machine
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Are you saying that you were able to work with 4K files on an old, slow PC?

I have a machine with an i7 processor and 16gb RAM and that will not handle native 4K files properly without using the above methods.

Pray tell us what the old machine consisted of as I am intrigued.
Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
AndyCr15 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, it's about a £250 Zoostorm file server that managed to encode this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9FW37dOKZQ

I did re-encode the 4K files with handbrake first, but still in 4K.
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Ah, yes

But I bet Handbrake has lowered the bitrate. Have a look at the bitrate on the originals and then the post Handbrake bitrate. This is exactly what Format Factory does to files in readiness for PD editing. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
AndyCr15 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes it will have. An 80mb file was made into a 50mb file.
The Shadowman
[Post New]
I thought that was the case.

There will be some loss of quality, especially noticeable perhaps, with fast moving scenes. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,