Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Help please - Drive setup and Work Flow
Lea56 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 18, 2015 15:06 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I'm so confused! Trying to figure out how to set up multiple drives for my needs and wants..... I've read about having a "scratch" disk for programs like Adobe Premiere where it lets you designate which drive will be used. I've seen nothing in PD13 that's similiar. My first question would be, where does editing take place if you would have an external hard drive that contains raw video files, an external that will contain all completed projects, and an internal SSD that contains Windows and all programs, including PD13?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Lea56. There are plenty of threads here on the forum that discuss this situation and if you search I'm sure you'll find one that explains everything you're looking for.

Briefly, There's no setting for the scratch disk because PD uses the same drive and folder where your source media is located. The best performance will come from moving or copying the media to your fastest drive, whether that's internal or external. If you have an SSD disk, you can use that to measure the transfer speed of your other drives because they will not be able to keep up with the SSD and so the transfer speed you see is how fast that drive can read or write data.

If you have only one SSD, by all means load Windows and PD13 on it! "Editing" actually takes place in RAM but that's affected by how quickly PD can transfer the relevant sections of your clips there. Normally, newer HDDs can handle video editing without being a bottleneck, but if you use "shadow files" for working with HD/2k/4k clips, you'll really benefit from placing your clips on a folder on your SSD if you have enough room.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°