Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Explanation of the Duration format
[Post New]
I apologize if this has already been answered or is provided somewhere. I have not found it in the forum, manuals, or tutorial videos that I have checked. What is the explanation of the duration format?

I see 00; 00; 00; 00.

At first I thought this was Hours, Minutes, Seconds, and tenths of a Second. But while editing, I noticed that the last set of numbers never go higher than 29.

My setting for fps is 30 so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. If that is the case, I can calculate the last number for tenths of a second by multiplying it by 2. But it would be faster and easier for me if it just displayed tenths of a second. I have dyslexia so numbers make me nervous anyway. Luthien Tinuviel
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Luthien -

Because you have your preferences set to NTSC, there are 30 frames per second. The last column is frames.

In the screenshot, the timeline marker is at 1 min 3 sec 29 frames. If you advanced it 1 frame, the time code would read 00;01;04;00

Use the </, & >/. keys on your keyboard to see how advancing the marker changes the timecode.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Luthien

It's hours - minutes - seconds - frames per second. If, for example you were filming at 25fps, the counter would go no higher than 25.

I hope this answers your question Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Be aware that in NTSC drop-frame mode there will be some time transients where frames appear to be missing, though they are not. This is done to keep the production in sync with clock time.

See this URL for a more thorough explanation...

https://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=D%26section=6%26tasks=true

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 22. 2015 22:48

[Post New]
Thank you all. I have a lot to learn in this. So your help is greatly appreciated. Luthien Tinuviel