Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Captured File Formats - are the compatible between video editors?
EasterAZ99mba [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 09, 2015 20:35 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I used Pinnacle several years ago, and captured quite a few videos. Captured from Canon HD Video Camera. Used Pinnacle software and 1394 to capture to my hard drive. Each video was captured and about 4-5 files were created for each video that was captured, with different file extensions.

My question is, are these captured files compatible w/ PD13?

Can i just use PD to open them directly from my HDD, and then edit them into a 'movie' (same as if captured by PD13)? I guess put another way, will any video editor be able to edit captured video files - are they all the same, or does each video editor capture images in a proprietary way? Or do i need to open these 'projects' in Pinnacle, and then create some sort of output file (AVI, MOV, etc), and then open that file with PD13 to actually edit the videos? If this is the case, will the file be treated the same as a captured video by PD13, with all of the same editing options available? Will there be a loss of the 'HD'?

Thanks for any help!

Kevin
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Files captured from the Canon via 1394 should be the same regardless of what software was used to capture. PD13 should have no problem importing the files capture from Pinnacle.

You didn't say which Canon model. I have the HV20. The files captured are .m2t which is standard for that format. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
EasterAZ99mba [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 09, 2015 20:35 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I believe it is the HV10. Bought in about 2006 or so.... (double checked - it is the HV10)

For each video that i would capture, it would generate about 4-5 files, w/ same filename but different extension - is that typical? Are all of them used by the video editor, or are some of these non essential?

They are on a different laptop (old one w/ 1394), so will have to fire that up to find out the exact file extensions.

Thanks for your answer!

Thanks,
Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 10. 2015 14:08

GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Only extension I've seen for HDV is .m2t. The other files maybe used by Pinnacle, but not other software. Pinnacle 7 was the last one I used so can't say for sure.

I've used several apps to capture from my HV20 and PD13 has no issue with any of the files (so far lol).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 10. 2015 15:15

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I have a sample from my HV30 captured using HdvSplit. Its on my site to download. There should be no issues with PD.
By the way, any samples from cameras anyone would like to provide, I will add them. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT