Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can I tell PD13 to look in different directory for all files ??
[Post New]
I create videos from my home computer and my work computer. I use a BoxSync on-line folder to store all my image/video files, so that I can access those files from either computer.

This works well, except for one thing - My home computer has my username as Clark. My office computer has my username as CJohn.

Therefore, the BoxSync folder resides in a different place on both computers -- C:\Users\Clark\BoxSync\ProjectA\ for example, and in the other replace "Clark" with "CJohn".

I have several subfolders for each project within ProjectA, for example. Yes, I can access the image/video files by opening each subfolder directory when I launch the PDS file. But that is sort of a pain to tell PD13 to look in a different subfolder than when I last saved the PDS file.

Is there a way to tell either Windows or PD13 to look for ALL subfolders in a different place. I cannot use the assign Drive letter command of Windows, because there is no drive number assigned to a BoxSync folder.

Any thoughts ? Thanks,

Clark
[Post New]
Open the project to not find the 1st file, PD13 will ask if you want to search or ignore, choose look point to new location this your file, all other files should load automatically.

I'm assuming that has exactly the same folder structure and files in 2 PC's.

Another option, making Pack Project Materials ...

All material and packed in a folder, can be taken to another PC, the USB stick, DVD or other medium.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2015 10:54

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
[Post New]
Hmmm....

I just tried that, without success.

I last saved the PDS file on my home computer, and now opened it from my work computer.

The options that PD13 gave me are "Browse", "Ignore", and "Ignore All".

The only one that makes sense is "Browse". When I do that, I then have to browse for every subfolder. PD13 does not reset to that folder structure for all subfolders, for me.

Yes, the same folder structure exists from the BoxSync folder down.

Thanks for you help, but
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
"Ignore" means that PD can't find a particular clip and is giving you the option to literally ignore it and have a black clip in the timeline, or you can ignore all and have a black screen for each clip PD can't find.

As PD can't find the clips in the place it thinks they are, it gives you the option to "browse" for them somewhere else Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
[Post New]
Yes, thanks. I use that " browse" to find the files. But I have to do that for every subfolder that has the files.

I was looking for a quicker way.

[Post New]
I think Clark711 has many different sub folders that contain the project resource files.
So when he opens up the project (office or home) the root directory changes and then PD prompts him once for every sub folder that has video files in it.

My recommendation is the same as what PlaySound gave you.
Put the project file and all resources files in one folder. This is the same as "Pack Project Materials" option would do for your.

PD finds all the resources that are in the same folder as the project file without you having to do anything. Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
[Post New]
The way I imagine you are doing.
Created a folder for your project "name xxxx" inside have other folders with video songs photos etc ...
Saved your project file within the "xxxx name" folder.
Copied or transferred this "xxxx name" folder to another PC.
Open the project, look for the 1st file not found, PD13 load the 1st file and everything. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
[Post New]
PlaySound - he is not transferring the project manually each time between computers - he uses something like Google drive Dropbox etz to sync the projects on 2 computers.

The project folder that gets synced is in a different root folder on the 2 computers - causing the prompt each time for him when he oplens the project.

The simplest solution to put all files into one folder (project and resource files) then he will not get the prompt anymore.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2015 15:00

Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
[Post New]
EKSVid

Thanks for pointing out my mistake, I do not I heed the detail, BoxSync online

In this case I do not understand why PD13 search for files one by one.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2015 15:59

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
[Post New]
It is not one by one.
Say you have all your audio files in an "audio" sub folder, all your photos in a "photo" sub folder and videos in a "video" sub folder and so on while your project file is in the root folder.
When you open the projects file it will say "can't find your audio clip" - then you will browse to the audio sub folder location, then it will say "can't find" photos and so on until you got them all.
PD is putting the full path in the project file not the relative path.
It has no issues adjusting if it can find all the files in the same folder as the project file is in.

The full path is diff on the 2 compters he uses.

C:\Users\Clark\BoxSync\ProjectA\

C:\Users\JohnC\BoxSync\ProjectA\

So the project file is inside ProjectA, as I understand it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2015 16:13

Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I'd think a simple creation of a symbolic link with elevated privileges dos prompt (mklink) linking C:\Users\Clark\BoxSync\ProjectA\ to C:\Users\JohnC\BoxSync\ProjectA\ should work fine.

Jeff
[Post New]
Thanks much for all the responses. They helped me to get my brain working better.

I think I have found an old, but elegant solution. I used the DOS command SUBST.

With SUBST, I created a new volume - Z with it, on both computers. Z on both computers now is the Box Sync directory folder.

On each computer, I had to find the location of the individual files by Browsing, and save the PDS file back into Z under the same new name. I now can quickly switch back and forth from work computer to home computer, and don't have to go looking for the image/video files.

I use LogMeIn to access my home computer from work, and verified that this is working fine from both computers.

Thanks !!!

Clark
[Post New]
OK, SUBST is working fine. On both computers.

I had also posted this question on the BoxSync forum. Someone there offered a much more simple solution.

Duhhh!!!! Their suggestion was to move the BoxSync folder to the root of C: on both computers.

Much better than my solution, even though mine does work.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 06. 2015 10:03

[Post New]
That is good Clark711, just remember Windows normally expects all "user data" to be in the user sub folder for (backups etz). So it is easy to forget that you having other user data files that are not under the user sub folder.

In your case it is not a big deal since you already have a backup in BoxSync. Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate