Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Not enough hertz to go around
Davoo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 09, 2014 18:11 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
So I've made a number of posts asking about how to get the speed on my PD up. It's often just fine, but just as often nigh unusably slow; the kind where every click preceeds a five-to-eight second wait. I've toyed with Sony Vegas on the same computer, and not had nearly any slowdown issues.

Examining the PC usage in Task Manager, I can identify that Vegas uses about 1/3rd of my CPU. Power Director uses about 40% of my Ram, but will max out every hertz I have upon doing anything complicated. I have 3ghz.

My understanding is that 3ghz should be pretty high. If I were to have, say, 4.5 or something, would I just be facing softened versions of the same problems?

The version of Vegas I have is pretty old and very outdated, so are any up-to-date programs like this?

Like I said I've made posts like this before, so I already do the following things:
Clear the file cache of videos I'm not using
Ensure unnecessary and CPU-heavy programs are closed
Flick all the correct switches in preferences
Will ocasionally lower the quality of the preview window when I can
Probably others I can't think of

Edit: Did a little bit more research on how Hertz work. I think 4 would actually be pretty good, wouldn't it? lol

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 28. 2015 22:55

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It would help to know more about your system. CPU speed is important but the architecture (i3, i5, i7) and generation (3,4,5) for Intel CPUs are more so. Newer processors do more work when running at the same speed as older ones.

I haven't seen your other posts, but if you could please attach the DxDiag results I'm sure you'd get some solid recommendations if you're looking to upgrade or buy a new system.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Davoo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay sounds good; here you go
 Filename
Davoo DxDiag.7z
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
12 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
174 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Wow, that was quicksurprised

Your RAM looks good, but you'd definitely see an improvement if you could upgrade your CPU to an i7, and a much bigger increase if you plugged in a stand-alone video card like an nVidia GTX960.

Here's a comparison of your CPU and the one in my *system*

You can see that the i7 has a 33% higher clock speed (33% "more hertz") but it's almost twice as powerful. A new video card would cost around $200 US and you'd really see the difference when editing and producing - you'd see waits of only a second or so and usually much, much less.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Davoo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well then, I'll have to look for that stuff! Thanks an insanely lot!
[Post New]
Davoo, Not sure about your workflow - I see you use a HDD as your C drive and it is also getting full.
You might have that drive for some time already - so make sure you check it for errors and defragment it if needed.

You might also want to look into replacing boot drive (C (that runs your OS and Apps) with an SSD.

Regarding the graphics card.
I have read conflicting statements on the benefits.

optodata,
- I understand that it will give you a boost when producing a video (depending on what format you produce)
- It will render fx from the timeline quick
- what else?
-How much benefit would you get in editing using a gtx 960 vs my old HD 5450 (like mine) vs an integrated one I think Davoo is using ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 29. 2015 13:57

Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
optodata
[Post New]
EKSVid, good call on the SSD! OP was focused on CPU speed and I missed the big gains that would come from an SSD C:\drive.

For the video card and CPU ratings, the favorite site on the forum is Passmark.com. It's easy to use and can show you comparisons of any number of different cards or chips. For example, *this* is how your current card compares with OP's integrated HD4600 and the GTX960 I suggested. Not pretty, is it? On the other hand, you can easily imagine at how much faster PD will run if you got a new card!

There's a great big caveat with these benchmarks, though. The cards are rated by how fast they can render video games, not actual video. While those two roles have a lot in common, the game-only benchmarks can be off significantly when it comes to video rendering performance. This is especially true for the integrated Intel HD GPUs. They don't look like much on the game benchmarks but they're very good at rendering video, which was what they were designed for.

If you look at these two *cards* you'd think that the GTX780Ti was 50% faster than the GTX960. For games that's true, but for video rendering they're essentially identical because the 960 has a hardware H.265 encoder and decoder built-in. Basically, it can match the 780Ti's video performance with better hardware and for 1/2 the price, and the only thing you're "giving up" is game performance.

As for where you'd expect to see the improvements in PD, basically everywhere! Previewing, editing, opening/closing windows to adjust clips or effects will all use the extra horsepower and will work much faster. The same goes for producing, although some people prefer the smooth (but slower) results of using just the CPU to the brute-force (but much faster) results from using the video card HW. It's really a matter of personal preference, and in many videos there's no noticeable difference, so having a powerful video card will speed up your editing experience and gives you the option and ability to get your videos finished much quicker! cool

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
Thanks optodata

I use Passmark.com as my first stop for all new hardware and yes, for graphic cards it is all about gaming performance first.

This guy has a great tutorial of what hardware components have the biggest impact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haP2aT_kpJo

You have to get all the way to the end of the video to see the impact of the video card - he uses a GTX980 (he is testing Adobe - but PD would be similar).
What I gathered from that is that it would not be a big difference for me.
I have 12 "actual" core (dual processor), so my cpu is not an issue I have no issue with produce time. The only reason I would buy one is to get a lot better experience during editing (and to play some good games )
Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Eidor stated that the gtx 960 made his video editing experience very good. Another member stated that his nVidia performance card makes no difference on his 4Ghz Overclocked PC. I still thing the cpu speed is the most important.