Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I add slides to an online tutorial?
dragon123456 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 27, 2015 11:58 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone

I'm new to PowerDirector and inexperienced with video editing. I would love help to create the online course I'm longing to without doing lots of unnecessary stuff which I wouldn't need to if I knew what I was doing.

I have written the course manual in Word, and am planning the video sections.

One thing I want to do at points is to ask people to complete handouts which appear in the Course Manual.

How do I import the page I'm talking about?

Can I highlight the part of the page I want people to look at as I talk? eg my voice might say 'I invite you to fill in the column here with your xxxx' and when I say 'here', I could make a red ring round the bit I'm looking at or something.

Would it be better to keep me appearing talking alongside the page I want people to look at, or should I just show the page?

I've seen references to importing slide shows, and to importing images, and don't know what to do with my Word pages to be as efficient and professional as possible.

Any help / directions to places to look would be lovely.

Thanks, Alice
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Alright Alice, one way that this can be done is to turn your Word document page into a .JPG file (one file for each page). You will be able to import the jpg as a picture and show it for as long as you want in the video.

To achieve this you will need software like the "free" FastStone image viewer. Once you have this software make a screen capture of your Word page and save it as a .JPG file. You can also use FastStone to highlight any areas you wish BEFORE you save. You may have to practise with Faststone for a while, but you will get there. This is just the first step so see how you get on. Also try saving the pages as .PNG files as they may be better to use than jpgs.

When you wish to highlight something in FastStone go to EDIT - DRAWBOARD - here there are several way to highlight words or paragraphs.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 27. 2015 14:41

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
dragon123456 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for that suggestion. Very helpful to have the advice to get it into a jpeg format as a way forward.

I'm struggling a bit working out how to make FastStone work. I have discovered I can save my Word doc as a pdf and then use a free online converter, I can make it into a jpeg.

I'm now trying to make a good transition from me talking to showing the page. I think I'm going to use the whole screen to show the page rather than keeping me talking alongside it.

Does anyone have any suggestions what track I should put it on?
Can anyone tell me how to get the page to spin in to replace me? I made it float around the screen yesterday and disappear, which isn't quite what I'm looking for!

Thanks
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Assuming that you can work with your converted PDFs and the text is clear enough etc, you need to insert the file in the timeline where you want it to appear. If you just insert it on track 1 in to a split clip you will lose the audio for the duration of the picture, but you would be able to use the Spin Horizontal transition as you have suggested or any other transition such as Page Roll.

If you simply place the JPG file on track 2, thus allowing the audio from track 1 to play without interruption, I think your transitions will be limited to fade in or fade out

So before we go any further we need to see how much of a problem the audio will be:

1. Does your online tutorial already have audio recorded on it?

2. If the video was made with all the transitions that you want in, would you be able to record the audio afterwards using a voice over?

3. Many tutorials use only text instead of speech - would that be an option? Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Alice -- As you can see what you want to do is complex and time consuming. There is a commercial program designed to do everythign you want and more but it is pretty expensive. If you are interested, let me know and I'll send you a link to that program. It is designed for professional course development. If you are working for a schl district or for a company who will pay for it, then it would be ideal. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
dragon123456 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Great - thank you The Shadowman

V helpful to know re the transitions - both the names, and the limits of where I put them. I can def record audio separately, so that won't be a problem.
The Shadowman
[Post New]
OK, we can go the straightforward way.

Once you have your video clips ready for editing place them in video track 1. Play the clips to see if you want to remove anything. Now bring your Word JPGs into the Media Room and decide where you want to place them in the project. Each time you want to place a JPG, place the scrubber at that exact point where you want it, highlight the clip by clicking on it, then look for the "split" button just above the time line. click on the button and the clip will split allowing you to place a Word JPG (drag it down). We want that JPG to appear smoothly so now add a transition.

Now go to the Transition Room and select a transition of your choice, as I said "Page Roll" may be suitable as it's pages we are working with. When you have decided, drag the transition down and place it to the left of the JPG. Click on the JPG and stretch it to the required duration or, by highlighting the JPG and go to the duration button just above the timeline. Now play the clip to see if it works OK. If it's OK place another transition to the right of the JPG. If all is well repeat this procedure for all your pages. DO NOT forget to save your file on a regular basis.

When you are happy we can think about opening sequences and text. Describe how you want to open the video and we can work on that.

Anyway something for you to be getting on with

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 30. 2015 12:30

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
dragon123456 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I took an unexpected break from editing and have only just logged back on to the forum to find this. Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it. I am on the case with the slides!
dragon123456 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am trying to make a new topic in the members' forum.

Each time I post my message, a blank page comes up: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page

My message doesn't seem to be posted.

I am desperate for some help, and so am trying pasting a reply to my old topic to see if anyone can support

Thanks
The Shadowman
[Post New]
That's very odd, I got a blank page too.

Oh, go on then seeing as its you, and it's urgent, fire away

HAVE YOU LOGGED IN?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 13. 2015 11:51

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
dragon123456 [Avatar]
[Post New]
That's very kind!

Here's what I wrote. I'm not sure how to add the attachment to this reply tho?

I am having a problem adding a title to my video in Yanone Kaffeesatz.

Whether I do it as text or as a png image, the text distorts as the attachment shows.

Shot 1 is how it looks when I edit the clip. I want it to look like this.

But Shot 2 is how it looks when I play it back - the text has gone pixellated.

Can anyone assist?

The Shadowman
[Post New]
Hi Alice

We'll need to see those images.

Use the "post reply" button. When the screen opens you will see an attachments button, click on it and "browse" for your two files Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
dragon123456 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Clicked post reply, added the attachment, and got the blank page again.

I'm trying again without the attachment to see if I can post.
dragon123456 [Avatar]
[Post New]
that seems to work fine

Could there be a problem with adding attachments to messages at the moment?
The Shadowman
[Post New]
In the meantime, have you tried with another font? Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
dragon123456 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Why didn't I think of that!

I've just done it with Arial, and the same thing is happening. Is that just what happens with a video - that you lose the crispness of text? It's like the font just starts looking messy...
The Shadowman
[Post New]
What preview setting are you using, or is this happening in a produced file?
[Thumb - fonts.png]
 Filename
fonts.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
33 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 13. 2015 12:42

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
dragon123456 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've just produced it and it's perfect. Sorry to take up your time with such a beginner error, but thank you so much for sorting it - it's a relief to have some help.

Please stop here if you like - I have another question about how to approach next week so I can get things done efficiently which is below in case you are willing to answer it.

The title I've been asking about is part of a standard start sequence for the 10 tutorial videos I am creating.

As soon as I get back on Monday, I am planning to make a standard end, plus standard transitions / pdf insertion etc.

I'm imagining putting them all into one project with no other content.

Then each time I start a new project for one of the 10 tutorials, I can import the standard project. Does that sound like the best way to do it?
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Yes, I do that all the time. I have a standard opening for my "Wicked Witch Pictures" which I compiled to my liking and rendered it as an .mp4. Now each time I make a film I just bring that file in to the Media Library and use as necessary.
Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
dragon123456 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you!