Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Use part of screen
david445 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 30, 2012 05:28 Messages: 129 Offline
[Post New]
Need to create a video to be projected as background for an ballet performance.

Using a end of the room projector I did need to use only part of the vertical size to not project over the performers.

With some tests I define a 10% shrink on top and 40% bottom.

Simply resizing videos maintaining aspect ratio create too small horizontal dimensions.

Cropping it will cut out many details.

Starting from high res 4k video/pictures can achieve better results? Any better hint?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Need to create a video to be projected as background for an ballet performance.

Using a end of the room projector I did need to use only part of the vertical size to not project over the performers.

With some tests I define a 10% shrink on top and 40% bottom.

Simply resizing videos maintaining aspect ratio create too small horizontal dimensions.

Cropping it will cut out many details.

Starting from high res 4k video/pictures can achieve better results? Any better hint?
Put your main video on Track 1 and your background Image/video on track 2. Track 2 shows on top of Track 1.

If you put your background video or image on Track 2, Select it > Modify. On the Properties tab, scroll to Aspect Radio, uncheck Maintain aspect ratio.

In the Video window, use the handles on the corners to re-shape the image to fit. You may want to also change the opacity of the background image.
[Thumb - Example of Half a screen for the background.PNG]
 Filename
Example of Half a screen for the background.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
PIP designer view
 Filesize
492 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
82 time(s)
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

david445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Carl,
Appear you are my assigned angel , I remember to receive almost always your response as first.
Unfortunately I can't project the whole 1080 size, otherwise the upper part will be projected on the stage curtain and the lower on performes.
I'm allowed to use only the central strip, that's the problem.
I was just thinking what the best use I can do with it.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks Carl,
Appear you are my assigned angel , I remember to receive almost always your response as first.
Unfortunately I can't project the whole 1080 size, otherwise the upper part will be projected on the stage curtain and the lower on performes.
I'm allowed to use only the central strip, that's the problem.
I was just thinking what the best use I can do with it.
Maybe a mask that shades the stage. Just a thought, I have not tested the possibility.

Can you do a rear projection onto a screen above the performers? That way there is no possibility to project onto the performers. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi David -

I've actually done this for my daughter's dance school, but only ever with a rear projector (as Carl has suggested). If you don't have that facility, the masking idea could work OK. The masked area will project as black (not transparent), but stage lighting will more than counteract that.

First, rough out the visual zones of the dance space (which will vary) and the backdrop area that will be "dancer-free". From that you can make a mask to be applied to your background video. In the example attached I've blurred the egdes of the mask.

When preparing the background video, consider that it too will be subject to the stage lighting... which could kill it completely! Err on the side of intense.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Ballet Mask.png]
 Filename
Ballet Mask.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
345 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
70 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
david445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Unfortunately I can't use rear projection.
Nice idea the mask, will play on that and see if will achieve more natural results than simply crop the image.
david445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Returning on this topic, I did use the PD mask with feather to smooth edges.

Now I did want to show different part of the underling video proceeding with time.

Using motion the whole video is moving around, there is a way to apply motion only to the video and not to the mask?