Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cyberlink, just like Nvidia, I hope you get sued for your deceptive business practices
[Post New]
You know what, the Tech Industry now-a-days, is full of deceptions. Don't get me wrong, all of these corporations of full of deception/trickery, but Tech Industry, as of late, has really raise up the ante.

On Friday, when I received an e-mail telling me about Cyberlink PowerDVD 15 debuting, I immediately thought to myself, "this is basically the same as PowerDVD 14." And I was getting really to delete the e-mail, and right before I did, I read the headline on how PowerDVD 15 is the 1st Commercial HEVC Media playback to use Hardware-acceleration.

I immediately thought to myself that couldn't be given that PowerDVD 14 was being advertised last year for having HEVC support. So I read the e-mail thoroughly and realized that PowerDVD 14 did, indeed, have HEVC support for decoding, but only for software, not for hardware-acceleration.

Despite this being kinda false advertisement, i.e. legal grievance, I just went ahead and bought the Ultra PowerDVD 15 with my hard-earnt money. I been using PowerDVD 14 for months so it would be hard-pressed trying to get a refund based upon false advertisement at this stage.

On a whim, I decided that if Cyberlink is so under-handed to do this with decoding, I should check if they are doing the same with encoding- PowerDirector 13. And just like PowerDVD 14, PowerDirector 13 was being advertised as having HEVC support for encoding; but now after contacting Cyberlink and gettting an official response from them, I realized I was duped again because PowerDirector 13 doesn't support Hardware-acceleration.

Which basically means that Cyberlink within a couple of months will be coming out with yet another iteration of their PowerDirector series which will be dubbed the 1st Commercial Editing Software to feature HEVC encoding with Hardware-Acceleration.

In other words: We want more of your money so bend over nicely so we can stick it in real deep.

The Tech Industry really needs to get sued in oblivion. Whether it's Microsoft and Google helping the government to spy on us, Nvidia lying to their customers about VRAM on their graphics cards or even their H.265 encoder not working right out the box as being advertised- the bottom line is: the customers will get screwed.

Now if anybody is reading this that knows a modicum about editing, you immediately know how important it is to have Hardware-acceleration for Encoding and Decoding; especially now with H.265/HEVC compression which is very intricate than its predecessor- H.265/AVC compression.

Even if you have a X99 chipset with 6 cores/12 threads, you still won't be fast enough to have a clear/crisp picture with H.265 media files; so why would Cyberlink advertise PowerDvD 14 as having HEVC decoding-support yet not for hardware-acceleration???

Likewise with Encoding, if anybody is reading this that knows anything about editing, you will know how important hardware-acceleration is pertaining to encoding. When I first bought PowerDirector 13, I test it out with my Intel i7-4790K which is a beast yet it took me a hour to encode/render a 4 min 1080p video in HEVC compression. An hour just for a 4 min video! Cyberlink knows that customers who are interested in HEVC compression are going to want to shorten their rendering time as much as possible; so why would they put out PowerDirector 13 with HEVC support but without Hardware-acceleration???

Not to mention how PowerDirector 13's converter doesn't work well when convert 720p video from Windows Media Center (WTV format) into M2TS format.

But let me guess......In PowerDirector 14 this will be all addressed and taken care of.

The Tech Industry needs to go bankrupted.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Moorish ,
Thank you for your observations and comments. Your feedback has been passed onto CyberLink for them to take note of. Best I can do.
Dafydd
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I can understand your frustration. All too often one company may support new technology, but it is up to others to actually implement it. CyberLink may add support for hardware encoding, but they do not make the hardware, so the video card manufacturers must add that capability. I don't know that this is what happened here, but I have seen it 100 times in the tech world. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
[Post New]
In order to have "Hardware Acceleration" you first need to have that specific "Hardware". It's not that hard to grasp the concept I hope?
As of now, the only piece of Hardware that has H265 Encoding support is nVidia GTX960.

Is not their fault that you have a Geo Metro and want to drive like a Corvette.
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
The perils of being an early adopter. Why should Cyberlink support HEVC at all when there really isn't any hardware for it? More of a marketing gimmick. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
david445 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 30, 2012 05:28 Messages: 129 Offline
[Post New]
Didn't want to be rude, but before doing any purchase I normally first inform myself, read some forum comments, next download the trial and test it.
AFIK HEVC isn't even 100% hw integrated in the current Intel Broadwell CPU line, so the best CL can do is to implement some OpenCL/CUDA version for GPU computing, or use the "hw accelleration" Intel offer right now.
Complaining is humane, but after all using Internet we all have much more information respect what we can use, but indeed we can use it.
Misleading ad is a bad practice, but we all need just to care.
Also previous asking in forum is a good idea, always seen good answers here.
Sue just give money to lawyers, information exchange is much more useful.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 22. 2015 16:06

Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
[quote=SoNic67]As of now, the only piece of Hardware that has H265 Encoding support is nVidia GTX960.[/quote]

As long as you have the updated driver. It works for me. .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro