Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Help Please?
Ray(str) [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 18, 2015 12:28 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

Just purchased PowerDirector 13, and am slowly plowing my way through it. To say it looks complicated is an understatement, that said once I get my head around it, it should be fine.

Now then, I have a question.....I want to record a basic tutorial for myself, and didn't really want to use my camcorder, as I get awful reflections from the pc monitor, is there any way of RECORDING a short tutorial movie from within Powerdirector, where it can record my mouse movements and menu options in real time, and then save them as a file, after any editing of course.

The idea is to slowly go through the interface and just record the parts that I need for future reference. It would be really helpful if Powerdirector would let me do this as to use my camera is a bit naff.

If you can help, I would be iteranny grateful, so can it be done, and if so, "How"

Thanks you lot.......

All the best

Ray(str)
Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
I'm relatively new to PDR13 myself, but I don't believe it has the feature to let you record screen activity from your computer. I agree that using your camcorder isn't the best option.

There are software programs out there to do what you want, but unfortunately I have no experience with any of them. But before I purchased PDR13, I tried Corel's VisualStudio (which I ended up not liking) and it actually included a module to do what you want.

A quick Google search turns up a program called "Snagit" which seems to be fairly popular.

And as far as PDR13 being complicated... I was overwhelmed at the start, but with a little patience and the kind help of members here, I'm now feeling a lot more comfortable with it and am even doing multi-camera video editing.

Good luck!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Ray(str),
welcome to the forum.
As Eldor stated, PD cannot do a screen capture, but there are many free programs that can.
My choice is Ocam, some folks balk when their virus software flags it, but I have never had an issue, it also high lights the cursor. Crystal clear capture, too.
Whatever you choose, make sure you download it from a good source.
http://ohsoft.net/en/product_ocam.php
One more thing, "HELP" is not the best thread title, but in your case, it worked!
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Ray(str) [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 18, 2015 12:28 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Can't thank you enough fellers.......really appreciate your comments.....

Thank You!

Ray(str)
Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ray,

I use Bandicam - It's not expensive if you want to buy ($39 for 1 PC).

Bandicam is an advanced Desktop Screen Recorder and Video / Game Recording Software.
You can record in either MP4 or AVI.

Be aware that PDR don't support VFR (variable framerates).

If you record in AVI you can import the video clips in PDR without any converting.

If you record in MP4 Bandicam use VFR and then you have to convert the video to CFR (constant framerate) with i.g. Handbrake which is a free program.

As BarryTheCrab say: Whatever you choose, make sure you download it from a good source.
I tried to download one of the free programs - and had to do a recovery

Have a nice day! PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12