Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Creating a coloured grad FX
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Just wonder if anyone has tried creating a coloured grad fx using the Regional Selection tools with Cyberlink ColorDirector 3 (64 bit) . I've tried but just can't produce the fx I'm after. All I'm after is a simple coloured grad filter ( the colour of my choosing) in the sky.

If I was to use another piece of software made by another company, I can create the FX I require. By using a colour wheel and selection tool, you select the colour then adjust the intensity of saturation and gradation, job done!

However, with Colour Director, the gradation with the Gradiant Tool is easly adjusted but trying to put colour into the tool is nearly impossable. Yes, you can use the colour balance OR reduce saturation with the Tone slider, but try and adjust using the Hue or individual Saturation controls to you likness, and nothing very much happens. You can only adjust the colour that is in the video clip you have selected, you can't introduce say, a red grad filter over a blue sky ( that's just an example, it's not really what I would like to do)!

Secondly, any adjustment that is made, appears to be directly related to the tone of the video!

Any help on this simple mater would be appreciated.

Cheers I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
[Post New]
Hello Kyle,

I admire the way you're always trying things out. That's a great way to learn! laughing

I well understand the difficulty of getting just the right effect with gradient masks. You're right. The adjustments are made on the colours in the video, rather than starting with a "blank page".

Are you aware that multiple gradient masks can be applied to the same region? That may help you in your quest.

Two suggestions I've used are:

1. Make the gradient mask adjustments in CDR & produce the video. In PDR, overlay the original video clip and the CDR adjusted one. By adjusting opacity of the CDR clip, you have good control over the subtlety of the effect.

2. Create an overlay mask in your preferred graphics software. I do this by taking a snapshot in PDR and modifying it. I've attached an example. Again, this is overlaid on the original clip. N.B. This only works for static clips shot from a tripod.

Using either of these methods, you can vary the opacity throughout the clip to achieve a changing effect.

PIX
[Thumb - Beach Mask2.png]
 Filename
Beach Mask2.png
[Disk]
 Description
Gaussian blur & transparency applied
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
138 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Pix, many thanks for your reply ( sorry for the delay in my reply as I've been busy elswhere! )

I must admit that I'd forgotten about using more than 1 gradient mask. I did watch with interest one of the Cyberlink videos from a year or two ago describing how to do just this. I will try out both your suggestions to find which one will work for me.

It's a big shame that there is no support for Red Giant, Magic Bullet plugins with Cyberlink products as they work really well with other non-linear editors.

Thank you again for your help and encouragement in this matter.

(I must ask what PC Cyberlink use to show PowerDirector ... my PC does not work as well as theirs ?)

Cheers I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.