Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Burned DVD+RW does not play in the DVD player
Oliver1999 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2015 13:45 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I thought I would throw this out there before I catch some winks.

I am a novice when it comes to the video world and I am creating my first video to DVD using PD13 and have a few questions. Original movie clips came from a Canon HD camcorder and were recorded in AVCHD. The files were captured and downlooaded to my computer as MTS files. I edited the movie to 70 minutes and produced it in MPEG2 (as per directions from PD13 Standard Definition will only work with DVD's) with the resultant .mpg file size being 4.01G. A DVD+RW disk was burned successfully but it does not play in the DVD player. However it does play through the computer. Is there an obvious reason why this is happening? (There is nothing wrong with the DVD player).

Also when I view the recorded disk through the computer the quality is still very poor in comparison to the same movie I edited with microsoft movie maker that produced a 13G .mp4 movie that was probably produced in HD and not SD. Is it fair to say that the more compressed a file is the poorer the quality?

SO What is the best settings to use when producing a video DVD? I realize there is probably not a straight forward answer since I have watched some tutorials where they show how to burn commercial grade movies that are greater than 120 minutes in length and only 2G in size to DVD's

Thanks,

Oliver
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Starting with HD video is always a let down when you create a DVD Video. You are reducing the resolution of the video by a factor of 1/6. Full HD video is six times the resolution of a Standard Definition Video.

You can add chapters in the Chapter room in the Edit Module.

To create a playable DVD, put your video on the timeline, use the Create Disk Module, on 2D disk tab select DVD, Mpeg-2 HQ. You have the selection of Widescreen (16:9) or Regular Display (4:3), use the one that fits your video (HD is WideScreen).

There is Menu Selection on the Menu Preference tab. After you have made those selections, Click the Burn in 2D button at Bottom Right of your interface.

On the Final Output window, you can check Burn Disk to burn the DVD. Or Create a Disk folder. You can also create a ISO file of the Disk. Uncheck the options you do not want or need. Click Start Burning.

You can fit about one hour of video on a single layer DVD (4.7 GB), about two hours on a Double Layer DVD (8.5 GB).

Not all DVD players can play the disks created in Powerdirector, Check the specs of your player. Some American low cost DVD players will not play a PAL DVD. Some other world DVD players will not play NTSC DVDs.

What kind of DVD you create is determined by the setting in Preferences > General > Timeline Frame Rate. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
In addition I'd like to add:
Firmware updates for the burner and possibly the DVD player.
Disc brand/type.
Burn speed should be near the lowest allowed for your disc.
Blow dust out of burner and DVD player.
Burning from a folder (using other software). Example would be recently I used double-layer DVD for a longer burn. The disc refused to play in my BR player, but would play on my computer.
-the fix was to burn the DL disc from a folder, rather than directly from the timeline, it worked great after that. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Oliver1999 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks guys. I think it may be the disk. The brand is Vakoss. I will try a Verbatim disk.
What does burning from a folder mean? What files are needed to burn to disk. Where do I find them?
Can I just use the .mpg file and burn using Nero
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks guys. I think it may be the disk. The brand is Vakoss. I will try a Verbatim disk.
What does burning from a folder mean? What files are needed to burn to disk. Where do I find them?
Can I just use the .mpg file and burn using Nero

PD13 can create your DVD in a folder (VIDEO_TS) this folder is the DVD can use another sofware to record use the DVD-Video option and add the VIDEO_TS folder

Adding to that Carl312 and BarryTheCrab showed.

I understand that you have created a MPEG2 file (compatible with DVD) and recorded directly to DVD / RW, most DVD Player does not play or play failing this video, Bluray Player is playing, DVD Data.

If only want to see your video on HDTV, copy your original HD video to a USB stick and the TV's USB port to play perfectly, also in some leitors BluRay.

in this case see which video formats your HDTV support. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
andyrpsmith1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2013 19:33 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
To add to the comment about quality, PD13 does not encode good enough MPEG2 video. Cyberlink need to improve the inbuilt encoder. I have compared the encoding from some of the free video converters (most use ffmpeg) and Sony DVD Architect (mainconcept encoder). These all produce better looking mpeg files especially clips involving movement. I'm not sure what encoder PD13 uses. Others have also been frustrated by PD13 mpeg2 output. HD/4K options are great and produce top quality output.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
To answer the "What is a folder" question...When you burn a DVD or Blu-Ray disc that is playable in your TV set player, those discs each have 2 main folders on them, and it's those folders that the player opens and reads, thereby playing the contents on your TV.
I did not quite get that fact when I started this many years ago, I figured, hey! I don't want to burn a folder, I'm trying to burn a DVD, what the heck is everybody talking about!
Well, now I know, a folder burn is actually the contents of the DVD/BR disc, within those 2 folders are other files and folders containing menus, subtitles, audio, and the actual movie/video in the form of VOB files (DVD). You don't really need to know all that, though you might want to open up a folder structure some time to just get acquainted with what is in them. Another point to make is PowerDirector will CREATE a folder, but then you need a folder burning program to put it on a disc, and lastly, I wish to say that you often have less issues when you go that route, use PD to create the folder, and use a second software, such as FREE Power2Go from Cyberlink, to actually burn it on a disc.
This tutorial kinda dances around this fact and may give you a clearer idea of the whole folder idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrfVYjnaXoE

Free Power2Go http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/power2go-platinum/download_en_US.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 10. 2015 10:31

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Oliver1999 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for all the input.
I had no idea that there are different MPG2 encoders which produce different quality. Should I be using Nero instead?
I also want to convert my VHS tapes to digital and bought VHS-DVD7 by Honestech. The software can create a DVD by producing an MPG2 file directly so that it is under 4.3G. It must create the VIDEO_TS folder and then burn it to disk. But I was thinking of having the software create a larger MPG2 file (I believe larger means better quality) that I can watch on a computer or alternatively burn to DVD at a later stage.

When Barry mentioned 2 folders, I assume he meant the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS but there is generally nothing in the AUDIO_TS folder. When are the folders created? Are the folders created after the MPG2 file or at the same time? Do the folders also contain the MENU's?
Do I also need an ISO file?
Does the DVD need to be formatted so that it can play on a DVD player. What files do I need to check for on the DVD?

I will locate where PD puts the folders and rename/save them in another location along with the .mpg file so that they stay with the video. I assume PD always uses the same location when it produces videos so I want to keep the files in the same location for a particular video.

Frank
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
The audio folder is always empty but some players won't play the DVD without it, so include it anyway, no harm. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
andyrpsmith1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2013 19:33 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
As Barry says you must have both the Audio and video folders to make it DVD compliant. The video folder holds menus and the MPEG2 streams. The other things that can make it non compliant are the overall bit rate which must be 10 (in round figures) or below and the iso format.
Oliver1999 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So the old things that get burned to the DVD are the 2 folders and that's it? The DVD will work in a TV DVD player
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
This is a long post with lots of information.
Did someone mention that not all players will play RW discs? Check your manual !

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
The method you use to burn the 2 folders onto a disc also matters.
If you just drop the folders onto a DVD, it will be "seen" by the player as DATA, and possibly not work, though your computer would likely play them.
You need to be sure your burning software is making a Video-compliant DVD. A DATA disc is not a Video disc!
You can also try using the ISO function in PD which will make a DVD image, and appears only as a single file, though if you explore them you'll see those 2 pesky folders again! I personally only use DVD video folders, but I may explore the use of ISO a little further, some people prefer that method, not sure what the advantages are.
Oliver1999 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Steve
The manual says it works with these disks.

Going back to the comment from Andy regarding quality and not all inbuilt encoders are equal. How do I get around this? I edit my AVCHD files which creates a PD project file (which is proprietory). And then when I go to produce/create, I only can only create either an HD/mp4 or MPEG2 using the PD file which other software won't recognize. So I understand that PD does create very good MPEG2 so what software will do this.
Oliver1999 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I meant to say does NOT create very good MPEG
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
It is the standard definition MPEG2 that people appear to be so negative on, the HD MPEG2 seems to be fine. My viewing audience, however, has never commented on any poor quality from my SD discs. As for workarounds, you might try encoding to an HD file to keep quality, and burn it to an SD DVD using IMGburn (free). I've not used it, yet, but more than a few members here are keen on it's burning results.
As for general output formats, any file in the timeline can be output to a large variety of file types, so I don't quite get that part of your post.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 11. 2015 12:46