Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
4K .MOV Production
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all -

Perhaps someone can explain, because I'm missing something here. Just out of interest, I tried editing Proile.ini to create a 4K QuickTime MOV file. I have no current need or wish to do this - just investigating.

I followed the normal steps and changed Video Width to 3840 & Video Height to 2160 in Profile.ini... but PDR spewed out a clip that lists itself as "Unknown Format". Even though the VBR was set to 15500000 the produced file is 129kbps, 126 of which is audio!

I've attached the details from the profile.

Either PDR cannot do what I'm asking or I'm missing something that may be obvious to someone else but not to me. embarassed

Any suggestions?

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
4K MOV Profile.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
888 bytes
 Downloaded:
327 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
The .MOV is relying on Apple's QuickTime. For various reasons, Apple won't provide for Windows a 64 bit plug-in or 4K compatibility.

Encode in something else, like h264 mp4. Rename it to .mov.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 26. 2015 15:47

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks SoNic67 -

So - it's an Apple restriction. OK - I'll stop investigating.

I even tried various compression options (JPEG, RAW etc) but all I got was clips with beautiful audio & nothing to see!

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
Yep, some companies are selling codecs that go around this issue, but in PD is using the free (and cripled) Apple QuickTime.
See here:
http://nofilmschool.com/2014/08/footagestudio-4k-apple-prores-transcoding-video-processor-converter-utility-windows

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 26. 2015 18:14

ynotfish
[Post New]
Ah - one of my go-to reference sites.

I'll attempt to digest it, but I think you've already helped me to stop wasting my time. Thank you!

Cheers - Tony