Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
having trouble capturing video from internal dvd player.
dugger66 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 15, 2014 10:39 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Awhile back, I transferred numerous VHS tapes onto dvd's using Roxio's Easy VHS to DVD software and USB analog capture device.

I am now attempting to edit these dvd's with PD13, install titles and transition points, etc. The problem is, under the capture feature in PD13, I can not record or capture anything, even though the icon for the optical device is highlighted. The "play" feature will play the contents of the video with no problem. (on a side note, PowerDVD will also play the dvd's}

When i press the "record" button, a pop up window is displayed with the title "extracting" . But it quickly, within 3 to 5 seconds, disappears. I have searched in the PD13 folder and found a file with the name "capturexx" corresponding to the date and time I attempted the capture. But neither PD13 nor Powerdvd with recognize or use this file. The file is usually a few KB's in size.

The capture preferences show the titles and other info regarding the dvd, export size, number of titles, disc type, disc format, etc.

According to Roxio, the video file format they use in their software is mpg.

Any idea on what is going on? Am i doing something wrong? Can you help?
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I have never tried to capture straight from DVD, but is there a reason you can not copy the file to you hard drive and import them directly? __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
As Jaime-esque says, copy the VOB files to a folder on your hard drive. You cannot edit the files on the DVD because they are Read-Only.

The VOB files are in the VIDEO_TS folder on the Disk. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

dugger66 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 15, 2014 10:39 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
thanks for the reply.....appreciate it..