Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Importing VOB files causes PD7 to crash
[Post New]
HELP!! I am unable to import VOB files, into PD7 Build 1915. I have tried copying the files onto my HDD then importing, but no luck. The files seem to import but as soon as they appear in the library area I get the dreaded 'PowerDirector has encountered a problem...' error, and PD7 closes immediately.

Info that may be helpful....system specs are more than adequate, I am running XP (SP3), PD7 doesn't crash during any other processes (I have made a number of successful projects, am only having trouble with VOB files), no other programs running at same time.

I have worked around this before by importing the files into Pinnacle Studio, creating an MPEG, then importing into PD7, but it's not the best workaround and I'd rather fix the problem.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated. THANKS!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
You might consider the free patch to bring you to release 2206 and see if the issue is still present. http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-update.do?locale=en_US

You could also try.
1) Turn RichVideo off and see if that helps (Edit > Preference > General)
2) Try importing a folder rather than a file. Sounds strange but I've had this work when a file import did not.

Jeff
[Post New]
Thanks so much for your quick response Jeff, much appreciated.

I haven't applied the patch yet, for two reasons...I am in the middle of another project and also given that the patch didn't list any VOB file fixes I wasn't sure this would do anything, though it may be worth a try since nothing else is working.

I tried importing as a folder and singularly as files and it doesn't make any difference, neither does turning off RichVideo.

As I mentioned, using Pinnacle isn't the best workaround (even though I was able to use it before to grab just a few scenes I desperately needed) as Pinnacle is one of the least stable programs around.

I'm not sure what else I can try and, unfortunately, the project I wish to complete involves grabbing a lot of footage off old DVDs I completed years ago (original files aren't available).

It's very frustrating, as it doesn't seem to be that there are many others around who have encountered the same problem.....but I will keep trying.

Thanks again!
Dannielle