Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
what are some of the common causes for audio to get out of sync with video?
rytis [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 05, 2013 20:52 Messages: 82 Offline
[Post New]
In my case at the begining of the clip, audio and video is in sync, and as the video progresses it goes more and more out of sync (audio moves in front and needs to be moved back to sync it with video every time I want to examine the new recorded clip)

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software and one time it fixed this problem temporarily, but then after i played some games on facebook (not sure if it's related or not) it became the same. I even tried to use another software to record video/audio, but it's the same thing.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: In my case at the begining of the clip, audio and video is in sync, and as the video progresses it goes more and more out of sync (audio moves in front and needs to be moved back to sync it with video every time I want to examine the new recorded clip)

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software and one time it fixed this problem temporarily, but then after i played some games on facebook (not sure if it's related or not) it became the same. I even tried to use another software to record video/audio, but it's the same thing.
There are many things that can cause audio to get out of sync with the video.

1. A slow computer that cannot keep up with both the video and audio.

2. Some MP3 encoding, (variable bitrate).

3. Some versions of Powerdirector handle certain codecs better than other codecs.

4. Maybe the Audio Driver in your computer is out of date.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rytis2015 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 21, 2015 23:33 Messages: 71 Offline
[Post New]
Its a fast computer 8 gb ram etc. I reinstalled everything, still the same thing. and why does each second of recording a video take up about 17 megs of space? this seems a LOT
deandip [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 18, 2015 21:28 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
There are lots of reasons depending on many things why it might happen.

One reason for audio desync I've just recently learned is differences in the sample rate of the audio set to be captured/recorded and what the sample rate is set to record with the audio driver. (not sure if this applies to power director or not, but some software it does)

Over a long period of time, capturing at a non-standard frame rate can cause audio desync (like 30fps instead of 29.97 or 60fps instead of 59.94)

About large file sizes, the less the video is compressed, the less processing power is needed for the saved video data, which in turn may improve capture performance.
rytis2015 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 21, 2015 23:33 Messages: 71 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: There are lots of reasons depending on many things why it might happen.

One reason for audio desync I've just recently learned is differences in the sample rate of the audio set to be captured/recorded and what the sample rate is set to record with the audio driver. (not sure if this applies to power director or not, but some software it does)

Over a long period of time, capturing at a non-standard frame rate can cause audio desync (like 30fps instead of 29.97 or 60fps instead of 59.94)

About large file sizes, the less the video is compressed, the less processing power is needed for the saved video data, which in turn may improve capture performance.
Thanks Deandip, where can I set these fps rates for video and audio? for audio I'm using Steinberg CI1 USB interface, and for some reason my mic from the laptop no longer seems to record audio, I even reinstalled the whole system yesterday, but still the same, the microphone does capture the audio, but when I try to record it it does not recognize it, even does not create a file if CI1 interface is unplugged. too strange.
deandip [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 18, 2015 21:28 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I no longer have a working video capture device, so I can't say for sure about changing video fps. Although, from what I can see from capturing microphone audio, there's a profile button in the lower right area in the PowerDirector window where you can change the sample rate, and that's possibly where to change fps too for video devices.

To change audio device settings, you right-click on the volume icon in the system try of your computer and select recording devices. Then right-click the device and choose properties. Then in the advanced tab, you can choose the default sample rate.