Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector installation error
BillW [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 15, 2015 09:24 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
When attempting to install I get an popup saying "PowerDirector requires a component of Microsoft Windows Media Player to function properly. Please install ... version 9.0 or above first". Clicking 'OK' to that popup aborts installation. There is no other option.

My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and Windows Media Player 12 is installed and is a Windows Feature that is 'turned on' in the Control Panel.

Please see the attached screenshot of the error w/ my Windows OS and Media Player details and the DxDiag.txt system info files.

What must I do to be able to install this program?

Filename
BillWDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag text file
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
227 time(s)
[Thumb - PowerDirector Error and Media Player info.jpg]
 Filename
PowerDirector Error and Media Player info.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PowerDirector Error and Media Player info
 Filesize
309 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
181 time(s)
 Filename
BillW64bitDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
64bit DxDiag text file
 Filesize
58 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
229 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2015 16:39

BillW [Avatar]
[Post New]
FWIW, attempting to install on another system also running Win7 Ultimate results in the same exact error.

I've been waiting days now for Cyberlink support to respond to a support inquiry and nothing from them yet so I figured I'd try here.

I'm stumped.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Might try.

In Control Panel open "Programs and Features" then click on the "Turn Windows Features On and Off" link (top-left).

Click the + sign to the left of the "Media Features" folder and see what's selected. Might need to uninstall Media Player by unchecking the box, then bring up the dialog again and install it by clicking the box.

Jeff
BillW [Avatar]
[Post New]
I see you didn't read my OP or look at the screenshot. Thanks for the help though.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I see you didn't read my OP or look at the screenshot. Thanks for the help though.

Yes I did, on many systems I've had to UNinstall by unchecking and then reinstall as I said in my post.

Good Luck

Jeff
BillW [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oh man do I ever owe you a huge apology.

I'm so very sorry. I was the one guilty of not reading your reply all the way through or rather taking time to actually understand what you wrote. I just tried exactly what you said - even though I was very apprehensive worried that I might lose all my networked file/folder associations - and it worked!

After turing it off, and a required restart and then turning the feature back on I was able to install PowerDirector 13 and thankfully it seems all my previous Media Player and Media Center settings are intact. I'm getting ready to instal an update for the program now.

Thank you! Thank You. Thank you!
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, no problem, glad it worked and you are functional.

Sounds like a new install and/or new user, make sure you activate certain features within PD. You do this when using the import/export feature of MPEG2, H.264 file and burning DVD/AVCHD/Blu-ray Disc in PD. These features require activation via an Internet connection the first time they are used. Activation is fast, easy, and free BUT needs to be done within 30 days of installation or you may loose some format capability.

Jeff