Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Speeding up rendering?
Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
I MUST have something set wrong because what I'm seeing couldn't be right. At least I'm having a hard time believing it's right...

I shot my video in 1080p 60fps MP4 format. My edited video is 20 minutes long. How long should rendering take? I've tried several things and it's between FIVE AND SIX HOURS!!!!

I've tried .WMV and .MP4 at 1280x720 30fps and both are about the same. The darn rendering takes FOREVER!!!

My computer is relatively powerful, but I guess not the most powerful for video editing. It's an i7 @ 2.93GHz, and it's got 16gb of ram. Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 video card.

Are these times normal? Is there any configuration issue/trick that I could have overlooked?

Thanks for any suggestions...

Eldor
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Your PC is more than adequate for the job. Try using SVRT first to see which format fits the job. What are you trying to produce to ?

Rendering (producing) a video clip has much to do with where you're coming from (format) and where you're going to (format). Even simple differences can force PD13 to have to re-code (render) your video. SVRT helps you to get an idea of where you're at.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 02. 2015 21:36

Win 10, i7
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Assuming your source is 1920x1080, 28-30Mbps bitrate and 20 min long and you have a i7-870, 940, or k875, the only i7 2.93GHz processors, 5-6 hours encode time does appear too long, probably more like 1 hour for 1280x720 WMV. Unless you have done certain significant editing as in stabilizer function and/or others. If you have used these types of editing features, 5-6 hours not unreasonable with PD.

Any chance you have a edit glitch and have a sliver of video far right in the timeline making your video much longer than 20 minutes? Hit the end key while in the timeline to find the real end and see if timecode marker is ~20 minutes.

Use the "Intelligent SVRT" feature at the top of the "Produce" area file formats to see if PD can find a suitable profile, if so, that would be your fastest if that's what you are looking for.

Jeff

Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
HDedit and Jeff, thanks very much.

I don't want to interrupt the rendering, (it's 3 hours into the 5+ it's going to take) but if I remember right the SVRT suggested 1920 x 1080 and I really wanted to make the video smaller than that. I chose 1280 x 720 at 30 Mbps.

And Jeff yes I did use a stabilizer function, but when I did I didn't really see any difference. Does that really come into play during the rendering only? Could this be what's slowing down the rendering?

I wanted to produce one video that could be used on YouTube or even on my iPhone 6+. Could you perhaps suggest what size would be best?

And my source (and project) was 1920 x 1080 at 60 Mbps.

Thanks again!
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Cancel your project! You are using the wrong get approach. For YouTube PD has a separate section. YouTube requires lower grade videos due to alloted space per posted video. Check it out.
Win 10, i7
Eldor
[Post New]
I wasn't able to cancel my rendering... it ran overnight while I slept. I need to figure some things out...

Earlier it was suggested to me NOT to use the YouTube option when rendering - that it would be more efficient and flexible to produce a video and then upload it at my convenience. So that's what I've been trying to do. And I really don't want to go through uploading a video until I've actually viewed the final result myself.

Are .MP4 and .WMV files of equal quality? Size?

I created a 1280x720 30fps .WMV file and it was 1.1gb in size. I then created a 640x480/30 .MP4 file, and it was BIGGER, at 1.6gb. They took OVER 5 hours EACH to render!!!

If I use the Intelligent SVRT, it comes up with 26 "Custom Profile" listings, all of them the same! And all are in red, with Workload Reduced at 0%. All suggestions are for MPEG4 at 1920x1080 59.94 framerate. The Bitrates are all somewhat different, but all are 34-thousand-something. The "Apply" button is always disabled. Is that normal?

I don't understand this. Please, can someone kindly help me through it?

If I click on Details(Edit), it says it's analyzing, and then I'm returned to the Edit window with everything in red and of course the red means video rendering required.

What am I doing wrong?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 03. 2015 09:37

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
For Youtube I think it's best to create an MP4 or WMV.
The PowerDirector Youtube uploader only uses WMV.
I NEVER use the PD uploader due to guaranteed audio out-of-sync issues.
Best practice, in my opinion, is to create the MP4 and go to Youtube and use their uploader.
As for stabilizer, the new "super stabie" in PD 13 just about TRIPLES my render time, even used at setting of 3. Does a nice job, though. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Eldor
[Post New]
Barry, I think you've got it! I did have the stabilizer on, and I was using the default setting which when I went back to look at it just now, was set to 50. I'd never used that feature before and I was curious to compare the results with another video without stabilization.

I never realized that it would increase the rendering time by THAT much!

I'm at my office now, on a different computer (same 16gb ram but a faster i7 at 3.40GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti card), so the timings might be somewhat different, but I'm now trying to produce a .MP4 at 1280x720/30p and the estimated time is only about 20 minutes!!!!

When this is done, I'm going to turn stabilization back on and try to get an estimate of the rendering time to see if it could really make such a difference. And it appears that it does.
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I chose 1280 x 720 at 30 Mbps.
30Mbps is still too high for YouTube or any website. I have gotten good results using 3-5Mbps with MP4 output. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Eldor -

Don't worry. Everyone goes through these little trials to find a "mix" that suits their purposes.

In your previous posts you said I shot my video in 1080p 60fps MP4 format, then later And my source (and project) was 1920 x 1080 at 60 Mbps I suspect you meant frame rate (fps) rather than bitrate (MBps).

MPEG-4 & WMV are very different. WMVs are far more "compressed" resulting in smaller file size with a quality compromise.

I agree, as most would, with GGRussell about bitrate for online videos. 30MBps (a) will result in huge file sizes & (b) probably won't stream well (play smoothly) for most viewers.

The render times below were on an older i7 - 920 @ 2.67GHz 8GB RAM

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Render.png]
 Filename
Render.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
34 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
622 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 03. 2015 12:08

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Eldor
[Post New]
Thank you Tony (and Gary) for your help!

You're right Tony, I meant 60 fps.

I've now turned off stabilization and the video renders MUCH MUCH faster. I'd used stabilization with the default settings (think it was 50?) on the entire 20 minute video and the rendering took over 5 hours. Now it's done in less than 30 minutes (depending on my settings, I've got it down to about 20 minutes).

I'm just uploading a 2.7gb file to YouTube and it's an .MP4 1920x1080 25fps at 16Mbps.

I'm going to have to play with that stabilization and the settings and then use it with caution.

Thanks again!
Eldor
[Post New]
Probably a(nother) dumb question, Gary, but how do you get 3-5 Mbps? I don't see that as one of the options. And if I make a custom profile, I don't know what settings to make.

Another friend (who has a LOT of YouTube videos) suggested that the best would be 1920x1080 at 16 Mbps because (he said) YouTube would then produce smaller size versions for different platforms. I just finished rendering my 20-minute video that way, and am in the process of uploading it. But gee, it's 2.7gb in size! That's going to cost lots of time (and money!).

I'd really like to learn how to make (good) smaller videos.

Quote:
Quote: I chose 1280 x 720 at 30 Mbps.
30Mbps is still too high for YouTube or any website. I have gotten good results using 3-5Mbps with MP4 output.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Eldor -

If Gary was here right now, he'd suggest you select a profile close to what you want then click on the + button to customise it.

The attached screenshot shows where & how.

Video bitrate is probably the most influential factor in determining file size. Fast action videos need a higher bitrate, so how low you can go depends on the content of the video.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Custom Profile.png]
 Filename
Custom Profile.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
113 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
97 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote: It's an i7 @ 2.93GHz, and it's got 16gb of ram. Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 video card.

Your video card is older Tesla generation, therefore, in order to have Hardware Acceleration enabled, you need to read this thread:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/42357.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 03. 2015 16:46

Eldor
[Post New]
Thank you SoNic67!

This board is terrific!

Does that also apply to my office computer with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti card?