Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Colour correction using masks
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Just tried colour correcting a "difficult" shot using keyframed masks. I know from experience that the best time to photograph this particular place is mid morning but I had a long walk by the time I arrived here.
The high lights are burnt out so there is no way I could rekindle detail in the whites using this style of correction. However, I'm really pleased at the colour correction in the blue shadows, the correct almost looks like a bright day!
The mask does "slip" at the end of the shot, a bit more time added extra keyframes would have helped, I may get around to it one of these days
Thanks for watching

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 10. 2015 06:37

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
[Post New]
Hello Kyle,

Thank you for sharing your work with masking and colour correction. You've done well with bring out the detail. I like your side by side split screen comparison.

I'm a little intrigued about your "slipping mask" and how it was keyframed. It sounds like you were using a motion tracking mask, which may not be the best tool for your purposes. Did you try a gradient mask? or a selection mask?

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 11. 2015 15:13

PIX YouTube channel
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello Kyle,

Thank you for sharing your work with masking and colour correction. You've done well with bring out the detail. I like your side by side split screen comparison.

I'm a little intrigued about your "slipping mask" and how it was keyframed. It sounds like you were using a motion tracking mask, which may not be the best tool for your purposes. Did you try a gradient mask? or a selection mask?

PIX

Hi Pix

Thanks for your reply. The original video was hand held (I know I should use a tripod more often but it's heavy and I had a long walk over the fells (poor excuse!)) so a tad wobbley The blue foreground was in deep shadow when when looking at the snow covered distant fells OR the distant fells were over exposed while looking at the foreground! I decided to use a mask to colour correct the foreground and manually key-frame to compensate for my shaky tilt up. At the same time I tried to darken the sky with another manual selection mask and use key-frames to try and compensate for the camera tilt ... it nearly worked Most of all I was impressed at how Colour Director had produced colour detail in the darkened shadow area. I also need to point out that, at the moment, I'm using an i5 PC with an nVidia GT640 gfx card, while the gfx card may be up to doing this kind of work, an i5 PC is not! I have to reduce the preview video quality to "Normal" to get an idea of what the video will look like, it's rubbish Never mind, hope to upgrade to a proper PC some day

On a slightly different subject, I've tried some LUT's but so far have never found anything that I find useful, do you have any advice on how to create a useful LUT? Umm, maybe I should start a new thread

Cheers

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 12. 2015 03:04

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.