Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to estimate content size for multiple discs
davecvideo
Newbie Location: Kitsap, WA Joined: Jan 02, 2012 15:34 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I shot a 4.75 hr workshop, thought I could get everything on 2 DVDs, no such luck. Right now it's at 9389MB, half is still too big for 2 DVDs. I'm doing the rough cut for the client to look at so he can put his chapter points in and then add PIP of slides, etc. I know one obvious solution would be to drop the quality down but I'm sure he would prefer something better than old VCR duplicate quality.. :
Is there a way you've found/know of how to best break the whole thing up evenly or just make three approximate cuts and go from there. Thanks all!
DaveC See the Difference video can make with DaveCVideo!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Double layer DVD is an option. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Estimates* can be wrong, Produce to DVDHQ (mpeg2) and you may be able to fit onto a dual layer disc as Barry has suggested.

PDR uses an algorithm to calculate (guess) the final disc size and can be way off, much depends upon the original content/video source and the way the video footage has been edited. The "guess" if widely wrong here may be resolved by creating an mpeg2.

Just an opinion.
Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
If you need a "split", I'd choose the moment when there is a change of scene in your video - a natural cut event.
Dafydd
davecvideo
Newbie Location: Kitsap, WA Joined: Jan 02, 2012 15:34 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks to all for the great ideas and suggestions. It's not an option at the moment for the x2 layer but since there are two more similar projects I'm doing, he might go for that for reduced cost. One interesting find I happened across when I was trying to find out if my laptop would do x2 layer was this program that will tell you exactly what your burner will do. Have a great week, all!
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/inspector/inspector.php See the Difference video can make with DaveCVideo!