Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is there an easy way to speed up multiple clips?
Feo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 04, 2015 21:10 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I can't seem to type my desired speed in the multiplier box in power tools. Is there any way to adjust the speed on multiple clips rather than trying to hit the magic number with the slider or the - + buttons?

It's not a terribly big deal but when trying to speed up a large number of clips by 10 x I just want to be able to type in the multiplier. Even better would be if I could select multiple clips in the timeline and set them all at once. Is this possible? The slider and buttons are laggy and slightly frustrating.

I also get that I can type in the desired length of time for the clip but I don't seem to be able to do that for the multiplier. Typing in the desired length for the clips isn't going to help as it doesn't matter how long they are, they just need to be sped up by a certain amount.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I can't seem to type my desired speed in the multiplier box in power tools. Is there any way to adjust the speed on multiple clips rather than trying to hit the magic number with the slider or the - + buttons?

It's not a terribly big deal but when trying to speed up a large number of clips by 10 x I just want to be able to type in the multiplier. Even better would be if I could select multiple clips in the timeline and set them all at once. Is this possible? The slider and buttons are laggy and slightly frustrating.

I also get that I can type in the desired length of time for the clip but I don't seem to be able to do that for the multiplier. Typing in the desired length for the clips isn't going to help as it doesn't matter how long they are, they just need to be sped up by a certain amount.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

So far (as of the current version) Powerdirector cannot speed up more than one clip at a time. (Power Tools > Video Speed.)

You can type a new video length in the New Video Length box. Or you can use the up and down arrows beside the new video length.

That is pretty precise. Because you can set the exact length of the video.

You can also use the "+" or "-" buttons to change the multiplier by Plus or Minus 0.10 increments.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Feo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank for the reply but this doesn't really help me. As you can see in my original post, I am aware of the main methods of how to speed up a clip and if doing it that way for a number of clips gets quite clunky and time consuming.

Imagine (or even have a go at this yourself) having to speed up a dozen or so clips of variable speed so that each clip is 10x (specifically this number as the slider seems to jump from 9.6 or 9.9 to 16).
At the moment for each clip I am using the slider to get to either 9.9 or 16 and then using the - + buttons to go up or down one which you can imagine is tiresome after doing this to a dozen or more clips in one video project.

I guess perhaps it should be a suggestion for the future to add the ability to type in your desired speed in the multiplier box in a similar fashion to how you can already type in the desired length.

Again thank you for at least replying.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Feo, I know it's hard to drag the slider to exactly 10.0, and you already know that if you drag it to a close number, like 9.6, you can then click on the + or - buttons to get your exact speed. I don't know if you noticed, but it's 4 clicks from 9.6 to 10.0 as each step at that level equals 0.1x. If you end up at 16, you're even closer as it's a single "-" click to get to 10.

Also, you don't need to wait for the editor to redraw everything. If you're at 9.6 just click the "+" button 4 times as fast as you like and let PD catch up. It'll show 10 when it's done. Above 10.0 the next numbers are 16, 21, 27, 32.

That should help you get the setting right, but you also want to be able to set multiple clips to the same speed. I can think of at least one way to do this!

PD13 actually can change the speed on multiple clips at once, but you'll need to do it by placing each clip in it's own track on the timeline. Select all the clips you want to speed up/slow down by holding the <Ctrl> key down and clicking on each clip one at a time. Keep the <Ctrl> key pressed, then and click and drag the right edge of any of the clips and they all will be sped up/slowed down by the exact same amount

Note that selecting multiple clips on the same track will only change the speed of the last selected clip on each track; that's why each clip needs to be on it's own track.

The only trick here is to watch the duration shown on the pop-up window while you're changing the speed, and in your case you'd want to stop when it shows that the clip you're changing reaches exactly 1/10th the normal duration. This is very powerful and you only need to do it once, but it might be tricky to always get exactly 10x speed.

In researching this, I had hoped to be able to use the very powerful Copy Keyframe Attributes feature, which is a quick and easy way of copying all the specific clip settings to as many clips as you need. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to set the speed using keyframes and copying the keyframes of a sped-up clip did not change the speed of the clip it was pasted to.

Oh well, at least you have a couple of options now, and maybe someone else will chime in with another idea or a way to get the speed tied to a keyframe. I hope this helps

P.S. I know there is quite a lot going on in my description, and if a quick video would be easier to understand let me know and I'll see what I can pull together

EDITED to better match OP already understanding the "+" and "-" buttons

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 06. 2015 00:01

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Feo,
There is another method that allows you to speed up multiple clips at once.

If all of the clips you want to speed up are all butted together. (no clips in between).

You can select all of those clips, then Produce them at their normal speed.

After you have all of the clips you want to speed up, and produced into one video, you can then speed up that one video that is all of the clips combined.

This method requires that all of the clips be in sequence.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 06. 2015 09:17

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Nice, Carl!

Feo, all you'd need to do then is place your fully-sped-up clip on the timeline wherever and whenever you wanted any sped-up clip and then trim it so the content you want is visible. If you're looking to have your whole video sped up, like Carl said just put all the clips in order and produce!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Feo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, I might have to give these methods a try and see if either are efficient enough to adopt.

I still hope that in the future they will allow typing the multiplier number in the box.

GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Or PD 13 could work like other editors:
Select clips
grab the end of last one and compress time by holding Control key and moving cursor left.

At the moment, PD13 only affects the last clip instead of all SELECTED clips.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2015 10:32

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
optodata
[Post New]
GGRussell Did you see this?
Quote: ...
PD13 actually can change the speed on multiple clips at once, but you'll need to do it by placing each clip in its own track on the timeline. Select all the clips you want to speed up/slow down by holding the key down and clicking on each clip one at a time. Keep the key pressed, then and click and drag the right edge of any of the clips and they all will be sped up/slowed down by the exact same amount

Note that selecting multiple clips on the same track will only change the speed of the last selected clip on each track; that's why each clip needs to be on its own track.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 26. 2015 00:23

YouTube/optodata

GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Yes and I was suggesting that PD 13 should work like other editors and affect all selected clips on Same track.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2015 10:36

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
TerryQ111 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 30, 2014 15:36 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
It is pretty weird that power director cannot change the speed of multiple clips at once. A 15 minute video that I'm working on has over 300 clips in it. To change them all, would take hours. I'll use the suggestion to produce it then change the speed of the production, but this is something that you should be able to apply to all or some of the selected clips all at once. Thanks for everyone's help,
Terry

Power Director 14
HP Z230 Workstation (Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSHD, 3TB Toshiba Data Drive, Windows 10 Professional, nVidea GeForce GTX 750Ti)
Panasonic HC-X920