Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video brightness flucuating (links inside).
cmorris976 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 11, 2012 02:07 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I hope it is OK that I ask this question here because I realize it is my camera and not Powerdirector that is causing this issue. Is there a common setting on cameras that causes them to adjust brightness on the fly? I am trying to figure out how to stop this from happening. I have a Sony CX-190b camcorder if that helps.

I do guitar videos, and all of them have this problem where the brightness (I think that is what this is called) will shift, seemingly randomly although it is probably related to how the picture is changing over time. Here is an example here, you can see the brightness fade right before I switch the view to my other camera at about 43 seconds in to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m8jJxHaC8I&t=0m40s

Here is a link to the video from the start where you can see subtle shifts in brightness all over the place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m8jJxHaC8I

Thanks for your help and I am sorry if this question is outside of the scope of this forum.

Chris

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 04. 2015 12:14

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
On your first video at 43 second, you switched to a view where the person's head is in front on the bright monitor screen so the head now will be darker because of your camera's auto exposure. The Sony cx-190b does not have manual controls where you can lock in the exposure, focus, etc. like on sony's higher end cams. There is a manual +- exposure compensation but I don't that is what you are looking for. On more expensive models, you simply push a button to lock and rotate a wheel for desired exposure settings. You can then move the cam to another location and shoot with the same exposure settings.

At 43 sec. not sure if it is going to help to turn off that monitor in the back of the head. Auto exposure will then make the head too bright because of the black screen area behind the head. You could trick it by lowering the monitor's brightness somewhat.

PD does have exposure compensation to lighten or darken a clip.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
About your second video. You can check if it has a manual white balance setting like tungsten, fluorescent, etc. See your camera user manual. I did not check it. Again, your best bet is stay away from fully automatic cameras.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
If it has backlight correction, turn it off.
It looks a little like the white balance is playing havoc also, try adjusting it in post, WB is one of the easier things to correct. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
cmorris976 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 11, 2012 02:07 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Great guys, I will check out those settings. Thanks!