Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transparency - Snapshots - BMPs - Titles & PiPs
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
This has got me stumped. Maybe someone can help.

I generally have my snapshot preferences set to .png, so I've never noticed this before... till I was posting here - https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/42460.page

So - I switched my snapshot preferences to .bmp. BMP files do support transparency, but I found an anomaly with snapshots using the .bmp format. By the way, I only switched to .BMP when I found that the .PNG snapshot wasn't accurate.

Snapshots of PiP Objects behave differently to snapshots of Titles I'll try to explain in pictures...

No snapshot in .bmp format appears to contain transparency in PDR. Opening the snapshot in an image editor gives a different result.

If you can follow this, & you care, can you advise why it's the case? If you can't follow it, or don't care, don't worry.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Title BMP.png]
 Filename
Title BMP.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
140 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
233 time(s)
[Thumb - PiP BMP.png]
 Filename
PiP BMP.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
271 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
259 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 01. 2015 14:51

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You are right about bmp in PD. bmp file transparency is supported by some image editors. See this link: http://superuser.com/questions/386061/is-there-any-quality-difference-between-png-vs-bmp-image-formats . I recall at one time in the past that 24 bits has no transparency but 32 bit does. Can't find this info on the internet as windows properties report the snapshot as 32 bit. It's been a long time but I think dos bmp files did not support the alpha channel but windows supported bmp files with the alpha channel. See this link for user contradictory info and beliefs about bmp files: http://superuser.com/questions/53600/jpeg-vs-png-vs-bmp-vs-gif. No clear cut answer.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for checking it out tomasc. Appreciated.

You're right - there's a mountain of contradictory (and confusing) information about BMP files out there.

You're also right about the 24-bit/32-bit thing. The same applies to .png files.

What I especially didn't get was that snapshots of titles behaved differently to snapshots of PiP Objects.

It's also kind of intriguing that the snapshots (bmp & png) aren't the same. They each pick up different information.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!