Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Using Packed Projects
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
I regularly pack a project during editing.

Where one is editing videos which form the major content of a project, is it best on occasion to open the PP and use this editing base start for further edits within the same project section? I am thinking that because the PP only includes sections of e.g. video actually to be used, this would reduce the processor activity on a pc. After more edits one could again create the 'next' PP and again edit as needed. This procedure could also free up disc space ... the original project edits can be deleted because the PP contains all used project material to date.

Worthwhile or not?
Thanks Ron
CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ron -

I'm sure everyone's workflow varies, so what suits one may not suit another.

For "major" projects (ones I want to keep for archiving & future reference, what I do is start with a working folder containing video, photos, graphics & audio clips & the project files (.PDS). That working folder is used as the export location for all produced videos, including pre-produced sequences.

So - when the project is complete, I effectively have a packed project folder plus related assets that didn't make it into the timeline.

Sometimes, I don't go about it so methodically and will import media from all over the place. That's when I use Pack Project Materials - it gets me organised again.

The projects (i.e. folder containing all used & related assets & .PDS files) worth archiving are stored on external drives & then removed from my PC.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tony.

Sometimes, I don't go about it so methodically ... My problem also on occasion!
I also have a project folder containing all material in various sub-folders. Where possible, I avoid using original material eg stills are copies of my master Picture File. But it seems to me that by using the PP for further editing, one can 'delete' a lot of 'clutter' from the project file. Just a thought ...
Ron

CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"