Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Capture from a camcorder using flash memory or a hard drive.
JoeyA [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 01, 2012 17:20 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using P/D (Version 11) with a Canon Vixia HV30. Video is captured from a mini-DV tape using a Firewire connection. The camera is getting old, so I am considering getting a newer one. The current line Canons use flash memory and/or a hard drive (no tape), and do not have a Firewire connection. Does "Capture" work the same way, except using USB?
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
yes, you can.
looking at the Canon Vixia HV30, it has mini-USB; is that for photos only ?
I don't think so.
Firewire isn't completely dead, my one year old mobo supports through USB3.0.

Quote:
so I am considering getting a newer one

by all means, yes, get a new camcorder if you're able or use today's phone-corder, they have higher
resolution than your old Betsy, too!

by the way, welcome to the forum. 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The current line Canons use flash memory and/or a hard drive (no tape), and do not have a Firewire connection. Does "Capture" work the same way, except using USB?

You do not use the Capture Module to get Video from Flash Memory cards.

For cameras that will export Video files via USB, you copy the Video Files to a folder on your hard drive. They appear as a Removable Drive.

Or you can use a Flash Card reader and copy the Video files to a folder on your hard drive.
From that folder you can Import the video into Powerdirector for editing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 23. 2015 19:28

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The HV30 has a pass-thru feature for digitizing analog video, such as hi8, so you may consider that for the camera's future. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
If this is of any use, I have two SD-card cameras, both Panasonic, one is SDR-S7, the other a later model, SDR-S71. They came with software, both discs since misplaced. but that's of no real consequence. I can import the contents in either of two ways, connect the camera to the computer(as if I still had the software) the camera, as Carl312 says, becomes like a removable hard-drive, with the SD card still loaded in the camera, you access the content with a few "clicks" and copy same to a folder on your computer. The alternative method is to take the card from the camera and insert it in a card-reader, then copy the content to your computer.
That's the way I normally do it.
Cheers for now!