Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 12 can't locate source files
000Tyson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2015 22:37 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know how this happened but when I opened PD 12, all of my synced files, transitions and title page were gone. Only the audio files remain. I kept getting a pop up error message that the source file is missing- see attached. This error message popped up for all of the video files that are now missing.

I installed the update hoping it would fix this problem but it didn't. Anyone have this problem before? Any suggestions? Please help. I lost my whole video and would hate to have to do it over again.
 Filename
ERROR MESSAGE.rtf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
6586 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
165 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Gone?
Were the media files on your computer's internal hard drive or on a temp location (SD Card, USB connected source drive)?

Looks to me you've not placed the files in a static location and as a result the local address in the pds file is not able to find the media.

1. Use File/Save project as - create a numerical name, 001.pds and use "Save project as" often, 002.pds etc.
2. Don't move media files around, store them at one location and keep them there.
3. Look up AutoSave and see if you're able to recover the situation - doubt it.
C:\Users\Tyson Computer\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\12.0\AutoSave
4. When asked to Browse for a file - search for it and you might be able to restore the situation.

Just suggestions

Dafydd
[Post New]
Adding to that Dafydd Bevan - SoftDeko showed.

Judging from the location shown in the displayed message, seems to be a temporary file created on the issue.

If so, should consider that these files are automatically deleted after 30 days, or manually in the PD configurations.

If this is the case, go have to redo your project from the original files.

Only a remote possibility to happen.

To avoid this it is recommended to use the save option, File / Pach Project Materials ...

It saved all this on the timeline + project in one package AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
NonnyM [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 04, 2012 13:40 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
FWIWorth I always copy the source files into a separate folder and use those files,. Any Mishaps do not affect the original files.

Also if video recording by date, I use subfolders with dates that match the folders on the import media section of PD12.

Might help someone !

Rgds Win 7 Home SP 1, PD 13
Processor i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), (RAM) 8.00 GB, Sys Drive 120 gig SSD, Data Drive 1 Terrabyte, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ii , Portable USB3 2 Terrabyte

000Tyson [Avatar]
[Post New]
The original files are on the desktop of my C drive and I also have a copy of the synced files on the desktop of my C drive. Nothing changed. I didn't delete anything or move anything around. I rebooted my computer one day and everything is gone.
000Tyson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Any other suggestions? Anyone have this type of problem?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You are implying that you sync those files with a device. It probably got deleted from your pc from synching. Open windows explorer and search for 00009.avi_with_Audio Recorder 1.avi.
1. Is the file found at the same exact location or not.
2. If it is then Browse to it with PD.

Let us know where win explorer found the file.
[Post New]
Quote: Any other suggestions? Anyone have this type of problem?

The way I do in the case as yours.

When PD shows that there is a file, I click Browse, opens a window with the file name to search for.

Right click on the name to copy, in the left column select the HD or folder that should contain the file (in your case HD, C).

In the search field, top right, right click Paste, click on the magnifying glass.

Found file and select Open button, follows the design load.

For files that this in the same place, PD loads automatically.

Repeat the process for the case of more files not found.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 20. 2015 13:50

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
000Tyson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks guys!! I tried searching like you said PlaySound and searching through Explorer and the files still weren't found. I wonder if there's a way to get PD to point different files. My gut feeling is the address of the files is wrong and PD is pointing to the wrong files. Not sure how that can happen.

If you have any suggestions on how to get the system to point the files on my desk top, jump in. I think I'll pose a new thread.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
1. Browse when they're not located
2. Or, open the pds file in a text editor and change them manually.
3. Store the files in a different location next time
4. Select Pack Project Materials if you want to store files to a folder/memory disc etc.

This type of issue pops up now and again and is primarily due to a computer/user issue where the location of the media files, the storage device... the local address has been changed.

Just an opinion.

Dafydd
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks guys!! I tried searching like you said PlaySound and searching through Explorer and the files still weren't found. I wonder if there's a way to get PD to point different files. My gut feeling is the address of the files is wrong and PD is pointing to the wrong files. Not sure how that can happen.

If you have any suggestions on how to get the system to point the files on my desk top, jump in. I think I'll pose a new thread.

If you have the original files even with another name.

You can add in place of what was not found.

Only need to know this is what PD is asking, it is common PD add files in reverse order.

With so many tests, make a copy of the project file to its security. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
000Tyson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks guys I recovered my project. I tried the browse search again and this time looked in the right place. Thanks for the help!!