Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Advice for setting up the Capture Quality Profile
Nattan [Avatar]
Newbie Location: California Joined: Dec 30, 2014 13:27 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,
I am new to PowerDirector 9 and plan to digitalize 30 8mm old family video tapes and save the digilaized files for a later editing. How should I go about determining the preferred Capture Quality Profile setup parameters so that later on I’ll have the maximum flexibility to edit and produce the digitalized files for best quality results and possibility to view it on various (future) devices. I don’t mind that the Capture time will take longer as long as the resulted digitalized files are better suited for future (yet not exactly known) usages. The tapes contain my kids as they grew up and will be used for memory playbacks, editing clips when they get married, share it with the Grandkids, etc. The videographer (me) by no means is professional, and it shows on the tapes. I have already captured a couple of tapes using the default MPEG-2 Video (DVD-HQ) setup with an ok result. The only two (not major issues) are: (1) sometime there is an audio noise (but when trying to use Audio Denoise in EDIT, the voice became muffled and I prefer not using it), and (2) a small line at the very bottom of the video image is blurry (noisy). I use camcorder Sony CCD-FX730V 12X, and a computer with Windows 7, processor Intel Core™ i5-3437U CPU @1.90 GHz 2.40 GHz, 8.00 RAM, 64-bit Operating System. Besides trying differ Capture Quality Profile setups, are there other things I should consider doing based on your experience?

Thank you in advance to all for your advices, and have a Happy New Year.
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
first of all, welcome to the Forum.

I'm afraid to tell you that you're doing everything.
your tape is showing the age hence the noisy bar, you CAN NOT do anything about that. period.
so you better back it up quick, soon not later.

you're able to capture...

Quote: I have already captured a couple of tapes using the default MPEG-2 Video (DVD-HQ) setup with an ok result.

yes, capture it, First, with Highest Bitrate you can(if it's DvD-HQ then the bitrate is around 6-8 Mb/sec), after
then you can edit in the PD9. noisy bar and all or when you're editing delete the parts are not recognizable...
noisy bar means you're out of track.

my Sony CCD-TR101(VTR function works) died, I got a DCR-TRV740.
when I had the CCD-TR101, I used S-video and stereo cable to my Panasonic DMR-E85H and recorded straight to DvD.
then to PD9. PD9 will recognize your DvD player as DV...

with DCR-TRV740, all I needed was DV to 1394 Firewire cable and used wXP's Windows Movie Maker, WinDV, and
VirtualDub to capture the video straight to PC as AVI then to PD9 or PD10, 12...
or straight to PD9 as .MPG file.

good luck.
Happy New Year.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 30. 2014 17:46

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Besides trying differ Capture Quality Profile setups...

Happy New Year.
I've attached a How To custom profile. one for MPEG-2 file at 24Mb/sec.
one .MP4 is default setting at 8Mb/sec.

default DVD-HQ is like I said before the bitrate is 8Mb/sec...

have fun.
 Filename
20150101_2341_13.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Howto custom profile
 Filesize
5758 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
206 time(s)
'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1