Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Does Power Director Capture from a Dazzle Video Capture Device
Jumpmaster30 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 26, 2014 14:46 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
So the software that came with the Dazzle Video Capture Device is junk and won't run on a Windows 8.1 platform. A friend recommended PowerDirector. Will it capture from a Dazzle device? I am new to video editing and have a lot of old Hi8 video I need to transfer to the computer.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: So the software that came with the Dazzle Video Capture Device is junk and won't run on a Windows 8.1 platform. A friend recommended PowerDirector. Will it capture from a Dazzle device? I am new to video editing and have a lot of old Hi8 video I need to transfer to the computer.

First, I tried a similar capture device and it did not work with PowerDirector 12.

Second- There is a trial version of PowerDirector 13. Why don't you try that.

Have you found a W8.1 driver for that device? There are some very good FREE video capture programs that are available - Google for them. Windows Movie Maker has a W8.1 version; that might work with the device.

Read this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/movie-maker-import-photos-videos-camera

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Dec 28. 2014 08:06

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Jumpmaster, what are you using to play the Hi8 tapes?
You you have a Digital8 camera with "analog pass-trough" capabilities, you can extract the digital via firewire port - you just need a cable, similar port in PC and PowerDirector (or the free WinDV) to copy that video on the HDD.
The resulting file will be in high quality DV format (13GB for one hour), recognized by PD.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 28. 2014 10:30

PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
this seems like a very good reason to have a dual OS boot...

I have Sony DCR-TRV740.
it converts Hi8 to digital output to firewire 1394 so all I need is DV to 1394 cable.
my mobo has the 1394.
wXP got the Windows Movie Maker that'll capture Hi8, Di8 to SD(640x480i).
free program WinDV will do it, too...

p.s.
oops, forgot the VirtualDub.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 30. 2014 13:22

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Keith R [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 04, 2014 12:21 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I have a Dazzle capture device and I tested it on PD13 with Windows 7. It does not find the device. I also have a dual boot system with XP and W7 and I did this to keep using my Pinnacle capture card that has the firewire input. There are no available drivers to run this card on any Windows OS after XP. When I installed PD13 I was pleasantly surprised to find that my Pinnacle card now works on W7. I previously posted on this forum that I could not get any sound when using the analog input for VHS video, but that was an issue with my sound card mixer and not PD 13. Once again I did not want to chuck out my old Sound Blaster Live sound card because I also use MIDI music stuff and I just can't find another suitable card with these features....without breaking the bank. I then found the KX mixer driver from Russia and the sound card is now working. Hope this helps.

Keith R
Keith R
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
congrats.
now you're surfing.

me too, I have SB live on my XP; however, my dual boot is Windows 98SE & wXPsp3.
I use W98SE for playing DOS games and wXP for retransferring my old 8, Hi8 and Di8.

surprisingly the W7's Movie Maker recognized my DCR-TRV740 through the firewire, 1394/a.

Happy New Year and happy editing. 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1