Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Improve your web video performance
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
Here's a tip for you guys who present videos on your websites.
Did you know that there is metadata encoded into the mp4 file and it (stupidly) is encoded at the end of the video. This means that a player like flowplayer, gddflvplayer and most others download the entire video to your browser before playing it. I discovered this only by noticing two videos, same filesize and same bitrate, but one started playing immediately in my browser while my Cyberlink-PDR created one took ages to download before starting.

The trick is to get a copy of MP4FastStart.exe and process your finished mp4 file before uploading to your server. I show here a look at the beginning of my mp4 and then again after MP4FastStart and the metadata has been written to the beginning of the file !
Remember to run as administrator if you use Vista
Now the video starts playing immediately in the browser !

Might I suggest that the boffins in Cyberlink HQ automatically code this as a default since it is crazy to put it at the end of the file (Sony and other nle editors have the same problem) Google forthe MP4FastStart site

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 24. 2014 12:49

If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, nice tip. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM