Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Need suggestion on completing a video scene SOLVED
Buckles [Avatar]
Member Location: Klamath Falls, OR Joined: Aug 26, 2014 17:04 Messages: 90 Offline
[Post New]
I would like to take a video of a building and have a person walk toward the building and gradually fade away and disappear.
Any suggestions? using PD12

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 21. 2014 14:47

borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
One thought...

Shoot the subject against a green screen.

Chromakey that scene over the building background. (Background on track 1, subject on track 2)

Select (highlight) track 2, then MODIFY.
Vary the OPACITY (transparency) of the subject video to begin with 100% and end with zero.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 18. 2014 23:17

Kevinv64 [Avatar]
Member Location: Upper Midwest Joined: Jun 28, 2012 05:41 Messages: 106 Offline
[Post New]
Another option: Take a lengthy shot of just the building, then take the shot of the person walking toward it. (The camera must not be moved at all during the entire process. Seriously, not one millimeter.)

Place the first shot on track one, and the walking shot on track two. Click on the track two clip, then Modify.

Under the properties tab, make sure Opacity is at 100%.

Next, (still in the Modify window/PiP Designer) under the image, you see a number of adjustments that can be made. (Opacity, Scale, Rotation, etc.) You want to create a keyframe on the Opacity line at the very beginning. This makes your image start out fully visible, as you want. You create the keyframe by clicking on the white diamond. You'll see a red diamond appear at the beginning. That's your keyframe.

Now (still in PiP Designer) move the slider all the way to the end. If there isn't already a keyframe at the end, make one.

Go back to the place under the Properties tab where you set the opacity percentage and make it zero.

The next step is determining where you want the vanishing to begin. (You're still in PiP Designer for this.) Move the slider to the appropriate place. Click the Opacity diamond to create a keyframe there. Right click on the newly created red diamond, and choose Duplicate Previous Keyframe. This is now the very last spot that your person will be at 100% visibility. He will begin vanishing at that point.

If you want him completely gone before the end of the clip, drag the slider to the spot you'd like him invisible, then create a keyframe there. Right click on the new red diamond and choose Duplicate Next Keyframe. This makes him as invisible as he will be at the very end.

You can preview it by clicking the play button, still in the PiP Designer. If you like it, click Save.

The above might look complicated, but if you actually do it you'll see it's very easy. If you haven't already shot your footage, you can still try what I described, just to see how simple it really is. Just put an image on track one, then a PIP object on track two. (They should be the same length.)

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 19. 2014 19:43

Kevinv64 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I see you're calling this solved now. What did you end up doing?
Buckles [Avatar]
Member Location: Klamath Falls, OR Joined: Aug 26, 2014 17:04 Messages: 90 Offline
[Post New]
I did exactly what Kevin64 stated and it worked great. Very, very easy. I kind of thought about doing this as I would with the crossover, but wasn't sure how to have the subject fade away. You saved the day. Thanks so much.
Kevinv64 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Glad it worked out. Some people (not you, clearly) are intimidated by keyframes and seem hesitant to mess around with them even when it is explained to them that it is the way to do what they want to do. They are a very useful tool.

Kevin