Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Question regarding QuickTime production and file size
Richb33025 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 20, 2008 01:10 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
A year or so ago, someone in the video business built some QuickTime files for me. I've recently begun using PowerDirector 7.0 because I want to be able to do it myself.

The problem is, the files I'm getting out of PowerDirector are huge compared to the ones he provided for me... and yet, the ones he provided look at least as good, if not slightly better. Here are the specifics of two files of similar length:

QUICKTIME FILE BUILT BY SOMEONE ELSE:
Length: 2 minutes 53 seconds
File size: 10,051 KB

QUICKTIME FILE I BUILT ON POWERDIRECTOR:
Length: 2 minutes 48 seconds
File size: 98,550 KB

A few other specifics...

-- Both files were created from video extracted from a standard DVD.

-- To create the file I created, I went to the "Produce" wizard, clicked on "Create a Streaming File," then clicked on "QuickTime Movie." I first tried it with the default settings, but the file was even bigger (138,953 KB), so I custom-set it to a width of 320 and height of 240; the compressor to "Best Fidelity Codec"; the Keyframe Rate (whatever that is) to "10," the video type to "Video Codec Type" and the Video Quality to "Normal Quality." (I tried it at "Low Quality, but it looked terrible and the file was still huge. And I also tried it with "Any Codec," but that didn't change the file size.)

Can anyone help?

My bottom-line question is, how can I create a QuickTime file (as my friend in the video business did) with as small a file size as he did, which still looks just as good?

Thanks in advance.
Richb33025 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 20, 2008 01:10 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I posted the question below last night, and suddenly it was gone from the forum (unless I used the "search" function)... so I thought I'd reply to it to get it to show up again.

Can anyone help? Thanks!