Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD5, moving pictures to a new directory
wabru [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Belgium Joined: Nov 06, 2006 05:18 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,
I use PD 5 since 1 year for making videos with thousands pictures.
I had to reorganize these pictures. After moving pictures to a new directory, PD5 ask the path for each pictures. This is a lot of work !
I did not found how to do the job easier. Change the default import directory do not help.
Sorry for my poor english.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello,
I use PD 5 since 1 year for making videos with thousands pictures.
I had to reorganize these pictures. After moving pictures to a new directory, PD5 ask the path for each pictures. This is a lot of work !
I did not found how to do the job easier. Change the default import directory do not help.
Sorry for my poor english.

Hi,
Okay - I think I understand... basically PD can't find image files you've previously called upon and ones you've now moved!

Keep the files you want to use in a fixed location until the task has been completed. The rules of video editing using an image file applies to ALL media files... DO NOT MOVE IT, DO NOT RENAME IT WHEN YOU'RE EDITING.

Dafydd

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Nov 06. 2006 09:07

Ferguson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 06, 2006 20:54 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD3, so I do not know specifically about PD5. I would imagine that the project files should at least be similar.

The PowerDirectory PDS file is an XML based file. You can open a PDS document in notepad or another text editor and perform replace on old path with the new path. I do recommend that you make a backup copy of any PDS file prior to modifying it in this way.

wabru [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Belgium Joined: Nov 06, 2006 05:18 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have PD3, so I do not know specifically about PD5. I would imagine that the project files should at least be similar.

The PowerDirectory PDS file is an XML based file. You can open a PDS document in notepad or another text editor and perform replace on old path with the new path. I do recommend that you make a backup copy of any PDS file prior to modifying it in this way.

I am gratefull to you Ferguson. Following your advice, I did the job in a few minutes.
Obviously, D Bevan is right. But I started the job 1 year ago. I was intended to build a video with 100 very old pictures. The result was so pleasant, I kept on. Now several thousands pictures are numeric and I have to upgrade my organization for backup purpose.
Many thanks again. Greetings
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have PD3, so I do not know specifically about PD5. I would imagine that the project files should at least be similar.

Hi,
You are right about being able to alter file destinations and actions etc... you're changing the file presets. This isn't an area I would want an inexperienced user looking at.

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 08. 2006 09:47