Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Best format result for blu-ray
acg [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 04, 2011 20:47 Messages: 275 Offline
[Post New]
I have been testing most of the formats in powerdirector and am still can't quite get my handle on the best solution.

My research shows that the XAVCS generally is the best format for producing the video after editing.

If that is the case, what would be the best format for creating the blu-ray disk?

Seems we don't many choices here: H264 the latest,carrier or MPEG-2.

Apparently the blu-ray specifications do not provide for a 30P or 60P (progressive) solution. You have to use the 60I (interlaced) solution or lose resolution.

I would like to see a 30P or 60P solution for blu-ray.

I have taken the produced XAVCS video file and then created through the H264 1920x1080 60I and it works great.

But I am always looking for something better.

Any advice out there!!

Alan
[Post New]
PowerDirector 13 does allow 1920x1080 50/60p Blu-ray creation, although some people await a patch to raise the compatibility with various players and allow bitrate over 24mbps. Very likely, many (particularly older) dedicated Blu-ray players will not play 1920x1080 50/60p discs, since their last firmware dates from when the only Blu-ray standards were 50/60i or 24p, with 50/60p limited to 1280x720 resolution. Some newer players may, while others may not, accept 1920x1080 50/60p. There is no formal Blu-ray endorsement or support, since there are no commercial discs that use it, even though AVCHD2 has been around since early 2010 on certain cameras.

XAVC-s is not presently a Blu-ray standard at all, so you'd have to select AVC or MPEG2 as the HD formats for disc, if you want it to play on an ordinary BD player.

Eventually, Blu-ray may be updated to include h.265 and real (not upscaled) 4k resolution, but probably not until 2016, if at all, because of a chicken-egg issue: no demand without content; no content without demand. Meanwhile, there are millions of folks content with mere DVD, or even VHS, resolution and don't perceive resolution differences. Lots of sports broadcast as "HDTV" does not even live up to proper 1280x720 60p due to low bandwidth and / or bad light. PowerDirector 12 (pondering 16)
Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM 2.4 ghz, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 670M with 3GB video RAM.
HDC-SDT750, HX9V, GoPro Hero HD, LX7, LX100. Looking for, but cannot find, gear and software to author UHD 4k discs.
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
What seems to work for me in my tests is:

XAVCS after editing then for burning to blu-ray the H264 1920x1080 60I. That has played on regular blu-ray players (at least two) with no problems. It looks nice and sharp (with lighting adjustments, stabilization adjustments, and denoise adjustments. I am converting 8mm and s8mm films.

Alan
jaymay22
Member Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia. Joined: Aug 27, 2009 07:18 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
acg/Alan, OP aside, can I just ask how you are converting your standard and super 8mm films? I'd love to know. Have done many myself, the hard way. Projecting and re-filming with a HD camera. I have too many to take to a lab. What about you?
Jenny
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello,

I did my conversions the hard way for 2 years. Projecting on a mirror and using a camcorder to capture it. Never worked very well.

6-8 months ago I did some research for a better way. The research bought me to the Retro-8 scanner which scans each frame on 8mm, s8mm film at very high resolutions. It only uses the sprockets for alignment not for pulling the film through the scanner. It is a great machine.

Now that I found this great scanner, my research bought me to the conclusion I need a fast computer that handles large volumes of data. I did research and pulled together information on what kind of computer that would be. After figuring that out, (took a couple of months) I ordered all the parts and built myself a super computer.

From the scanner, to the computer through PowerDirector 13 the results are awesome.

I use PowerDirector 13 for my editing software which I think is one of the better packages on the market.

If you would like more detail I would be happy to provide it. Also, if you would like a sample of the production output let me know and I can burn one for you.

In processing all this data I also found that I needed to upgrade the speed of my network. I upped the cabling to CAT6a, changed out the switch to GB and re-cabled all network devices with CAT6A cabling for GB sped. All NIC cards are GB.

I have a lab I built with has multiple computers and video devices.

I would be happy to send you a picture of my lab if you would like.

Anything else please let me know.

I enjoy working with everyone - we can learn from each other.

Alan
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
The last question I forgot to answer.

I just opened my doors for converting 8mm, s8mm films all the way to full production if wanted. Have done so far close to 500 films. Am working on a project now that has 100 films from 50' - 400'. The oldest is from 1932.

Have discovered a lot during my journey.

Can send you a copy of my business card which has a picture of the lab and all that I do.

Regards,

Alan