Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Opening PD12 Packed Projects in PD 13
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
I've just encountered another problem in PD 13!
I need to finish off a project I started in PD12. I have already packed the project, at just over 2 mins it's not very long. The project has just 1 video track with moving video, a second video track has just 6 small png files I'm using with a simple animation for title straps and 6 titles in the title track. in total, I have 3 tracks picture tracks and 2 audio tracks, I've kept in t simple this time!
The project opens in PD12 without a problem BUT doesn't open in PD13, this is the only PD12 packed project I can't open in PD13!
I have already used PD12 to go through the project and remove the few video dissolves and all colour fx but still it won't open. The computer "hangs" at 48% and progresses no more! Very little ram is used and the CPU is just ticking over, see photo. I have to instigate Task Manager to close the application.
All other applications are closed down even the Windows desktop is pared back to a bare minimum using Tune Up Utilities
Any idea please ?

[Thumb - 1-PD13 packed project.jpg]
 Filename
1-PD13 packed project.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Packed project wont open in PD13
 Filesize
160 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
340 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 17. 2014 09:44

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Did you look in the pack project folder to see if the files are actually in there?

Your screen shot does not show any thumbnails of the files in the folder.

Can PD 12 open this packed folder?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2014 09:49

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote: Did you look in the pack project folder to see if the files are actually in there?

Hi Carl, thanks for replying,

Yes, checking the location of the folder in windows to make sure all the files are present and also intact, then opening the project in PD12, was in fact the first thing I did carry out.
The screen grab shows that that is as far as the project will go in PD13, up to 48% and no further not even enough time to load thumbnails.
I have successfully opened other PD12 packed projects in PD13

cheers

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2014 10:15

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Did you look in the pack project folder to see if the files are actually in there?

Hi Carl, thanks for replying,

Yes, checking the location of the folder in windows to make sure all the files are present and also intact, then opening the project in PD12, was in fact the first thing I did carry out.
The screen grab shows that that is as far as the project will go in PD13, up to 48% and no further not even enough time to load thumbnails.
I have successfully opened other PD12 packed projects in PD13

cheers

Then, I suggest you pull the project back into PD 12 then pack the project again to another folder. Just to see if something when wrong the first pack.

Maybe make a slight change and Save As a different PDS file, then pack that project.

If it works most of the time, there may be something wrong with that packed PDS file.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2014 22:29

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Kyle 40
[Post New]
Hi Carl

I have now tried all of the variation I've saved from the first initialisation of this particular project ( myproject 1, my project 2 etc.,) and none of them load into PD13. I did manage to get the loading window to 100%, then the system froze and once again I had to call up Task Manager to kill the program after waiting the duration of a cup of coffee !
I've now gone down the line of placing the packed clips into a different folder, then launching the project and manually trying to find the 70 odd video clips Not as easy as it first sounds as this particular project is basically a reprieve from all the work I've done over several months. Now I have to use a low res copy of the video to match frame all the "bits".
The reason I'm going through this painful process is that I may need to change the video for the client and I want to remove PD12!
Time for another coffee, me thinks.

Cheers I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Carl

I have now tried all of the variation I've saved from the first initialisation of this particular project ( myproject 1, my project 2 etc.,) and none of them load into PD13. I did manage to get the loading window to 100%, then the system froze and once again I had to call up Task Manager to kill the program after waiting the duration of a cup of coffee !
I've now gone down the line of placing the packed clips into a different folder, then launching the project and manually trying to find the 70 odd video clips Not as easy as it first sounds as this particular project is basically a reprieve from all the work I've done over several months. Now I have to use a low res copy of the video to match frame all the "bits".
The reason I'm going through this painful process is that I may need to change the video for the client and I want to remove PD12!

Cheers

Yes, it sounds like several cups of coffee.

I have another suggestion.

1. Copy the entire Packed project folder to your local Hard Drive. (All of the assets are supposed to be in that folder).
2. Start Powerdirector 13
3. Do not use the pds file.
4. Import Folder (browse to packed folder above)
5. Recreate the project. (You have PD 12 to compare).
6. Have another cup of coffee,

I know that is a lot of work, Until you can solve why that PDS file hangs PD 13, it looks like your only choice.
It may be there is some transition, effect, of PIP that is not in PD 13 that is hanging up PD 13.

PD 12 has it, PD 13 does not. Something is different.

Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Hi Carl

Cheers

Yes, it sounds like several cups of coffee.

I have another suggestion.

1. Copy the entire Packed project folder to your local Hard Drive. (All of the assets are supposed to be in that folder).
2. Start Powerdirector 13
3. Do not use the pds file.
4. Import Folder (browse to packed folder above)
5. Recreate the project. (You have PD 12 to compare).
6. Have another cup of coffee,

I know that is a lot of work, Until you can solve why that PDS file hangs PD 13, it looks like your only choice.
It may be there is some transition, effect, of PIP that is not in PD 13 that is hanging up PD 13.

PD 12 has it, PD 13 does not. Something is different.

Brilliant !!! After several tries at importing the "Packed Projects" folder as you suggested ( I completely forgot you can import a complete folder ) then watching the import fail after reaching the 100% mark, I noticed the just one of the files appeared not to load at all!
On every import, PD13 notified me about the pds file but I chose to ignore the file
Then I tried to import the folder without the .pds file, that still didn't work. No more coffee ...( it's getting to late over here for that now )
Next I removed the only file that never produced a thumbnail before PD13 stopped working, then tried to import the folder... it worked ! I now had an imported folder complete with pds file ... BUT wait a minute .... lets try it again !!!
I have now removed one of the files that appeared to cause the problem so I tried to open the pds file in PD13 GLORY BE... I now have my complete project back YIPPPEEE

Having saved then closed the PD13 project, I found that the new version of my project launches happily in PD13.

The file I removed is an MP4 video of the original program that I had to use for match framing in PD12 .I don't need it in PD13 as all the edits are now made. So I'm assuming it was that one file that caused the problem.

Thank you so much for your advice, Carl, and prompting me to tackle this problem from a different angle

The storm outside is starting to really blow now so it's probably a good time for me to go to bed

Cheers

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 19. 2014 08:36