Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
.psd support for PowerDirector?
davecvideo
Newbie Location: Kitsap, WA Joined: Jan 02, 2012 15:34 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I was looking at a site that offers drag and drop effects for video and it said it works with .psd files "Rampant Monster Toolkit™ consists of more than 1,500 high resolution Photoshop (.psd) files and is compatible with any Editing or Compositing software that can read .PSD files like Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro 7, FCPX, Sony Vegas, Apple Motion, Nuke, Media 100 and many more."
So...is this too 'high end' for Cyberlink to consider or too pricey for them to buy into for support?
DaveC See the Difference video can make with DaveCVideo!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I was looking at a site that offers drag and drop effects for video and it said it works with .psd files "Rampant Monster Toolkit™ consists of more than 1,500 high resolution Photoshop (.psd) files and is compatible with any Editing or Compositing software that can read .PSD files like Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro 7, FCPX, Sony Vegas, Apple Motion, Nuke, Media 100 and many more."
So...is this too 'high end' for Cyberlink to consider or too pricey for them to buy into for support?
DaveC

Hi chivalryproductions,
A very valid point and one I have passed onto CyberLink. For me, importing a psd file caused PDR13 to throw up an error message and then hang and I needed to use the Task manager to extricate myself from the situation. The second time the importation of a psd didn't cause the hang, closed the error message fine.
I used to use psd files a lot, they're layered image files and maybe one of the reasons why PDR doesn't like them (being picky and aiming for simple editing).
Dafydd
[Post New]
Hi Chivalryproductions

As long as you have a program to save those psd's as png's or other formats which allow transparency you're fine. Those psd's are basically one item cut out so they could have been saved as png's to begin with. I downloaded their sample of the monster toolkit to confirm this.
Now that we have alpha channel support this is even easier.
Yes psd support would have saved one step but the format is a memory hog anyway. Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 Mainboard : Intel i7 2700k @ 3.6ghz: 12 gb DDR3 Kingston ram:
2TB WD Black HD's: Asus GTX970 4gb ram: Windows 10 Pro 64bit:

davecvideo
Newbie Location: Kitsap, WA Joined: Jan 02, 2012 15:34 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the comments. Will wait and see I guess. See the Difference video can make with DaveCVideo!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi chivalryproductions -

A s stated above, a .psd file is a layered image used in PhotoShop. That's why it cannot import into PowerDirector.

If you're familiar with the free Paint.NET, it has a comparable format that retains the image layers (.pdn). PowerDirector won't import those either! Now will any other NLE I've ever used.

The layers are retained so you can continue working with them separately before exporting the final image. That flattens the layers into one.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 18. 2014 08:52

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!