Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
In Relation To: Copyrighted VHS "Home Movies"
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
The original thread has been locked so I cannot make this comment there but the suggestion was made to use Windows Movie Maker to "capture" content before importing same into a Power Director programme for editing. This if fine if you're using Windows XP(service pack 3) but if you're using Windows 7, you'll find that Windows Movie Maker has ABSOLUTELY NO PROVISION for recording from external sources via capture card. I thought I should point this out to anyone who might be thinking of trying Windows Movie Maker for that purpose. Quite frankly, Windows Movie Maker falls down in a number of points. Ease of use when editing, it also renders some clips into monochrome against the user's intentions, and of course the lack of the capture option, you can only edit content already imported via other programmes. Trying Windows Movie maker myself shortly after getting this Windows 7-based computer, I soon saw its shortcomings and thus I no longer use it for ANY purpose.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
This would appear to contradict your assertion. But perhaps a capture card cannot be facilitated...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/turn-your-old-video-into-digital-memories-using-windows-live-movie-maker
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Borgus1, I don't believe I've contradicted myself on this matter. I stated that Windows Movie Maker for Windows 7 is incapable of use with a capture card. The problem with Power Director(later than PD6) is that they "hiccup" on capturing, via card, any content fed in from a VHS video recorder(or Betamax, for that matter), on any "Noise" on the tape and put up the "copyright" warning. This on home-made VHS tapes. The suggestion is to use another programme to capture content, then import that captured content for editing on Power Director(7 or upwards, for argument's sake). This is where Windows Movie Maker fails because of that lack of provision for a capture card, if using the version for Windows 7. Windows XP's version had the provision for capture card use but Windows 7's version did not! Massive retrograde step on Microsoft's part! I've been discouraged to use any of my old VHS stuff for this reason, and have, instead, concentrated on content copied in from SD cards.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Can you not use the capture card to transfer material to the hard drive - then import it from there into PD or WMM?
fkaMikeB
Senior Member Location: Ohio, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2014 23:22 Messages: 217 Offline
[Post New]
FWIW:
Windows 7 did not come with MovieMaker, but you can get it by downloading Windows Live Essentials. With Live Essentials you can capture video through a IEEE1394 Firewire port. I have done this capturing video from my miniDV camcorder and from VHS and Hi8 with an analog-to-digital video converter. Presumably, if your capture card has an IEEE1394 port you can capture through that as well (you might have to install a legacy Firewire driver).

Edit>>Here is the link how to use Windows MovieMaker to import video in Windows 7. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/movie-maker-import-photos-videos-camera

Although I can capture as I said above, I prefer other freeware apps that give me more control over the capture process than Windows or PDR12. (see WinDV or ScenalyzerLive)

On a related note, Adobe discontinued DV capture with the recent release of Premiere Essentials v13. Will Cyberlink follow suit in the next release? Wouldn't surprise me.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 09. 2014 21:35

Mike B.
|>>PowerSpecG311 PC(2014)<<||>>Windows®7Pro 64-bit OS<<|
|MB:AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+|CPU:AMD A10-7850KQuad 3.7GHz|RAM:8GB DDR3|GPU:MSI Radeon™R7 250 1GD5OC|
|HDD:Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB|HDD:WD Red 2TBx2|RAID:SansDigital TR5M+B 2TBx3|BD-R:LG BE14NU40 Ext|
|Camera:Canon Ultura miniDV|WebCam:Logitech C910|ADVC110 Analog/Digital Converter|
|PowerDirector12Ultra.2930|PhotoDirector5Ultra.5424|AudioDirector4Ultra.3522|Cyberlink MediaSuite10 OEM|
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Can you not use the capture card to transfer material to the hard drive - then import it from there into PD or WMM?

Borgus1, the answer there is no. You need a programme like Power Director or earlier Windows Movie Maker(for Windows XP), or Pinnacle, or any other software intended for the purpose. The capture card itself cannot work autonomously to capture video content and put that content on the hard-drive in MPEG, WMV or any other video file type.