Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Trouble with transitions
SeymourButzPlease123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 06, 2013 21:02 Messages: 49 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using version 9. Many times, though not always, I have trouble with transitions at the beginning of clips. I'll put a fade or blur at the beginning of a clip, but instead of starting dark or blurry and then getting clear, it starts off clear and then gets dark or blurry until it reaches the end of the transition, and then the clip plays normally. Am I explaining that poorly? Instead of getting a fade in at the beginning of the clip, I get a fade out until the transition ends. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 06. 2014 20:59

borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Perhaps. Expand the time line. Drag it to the right so that both clips involved can be clearly seen.

Place the transition directly between the two clips - not at the end of the "from" clip and not at the head of the "to" clip.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
I think SBP means a transition placed at the beginning of a clip to provide a fade-in, e.g. at the start of a movie, or as part of a fade through black where you place a fade-out at the end of the preceding clip. I've also had this problem pop up very occasionally. I've never been able to figure out what causes it and haven't found a repeatable way of fixing it either. I usually try deleting and re-applying the transition. If that doesn't work (usually doesn't) I try trimming the clip. If that doesn't work I give up and leave it a straight cut.

It seems to be just one of those PD quirks!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 07. 2014 05:48

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
[Post New]
Quote: I think SBP means a transition placed at the beginning of a clip to provide a fade-in, e.g. at the start of a movie, or as part of a fade through black where you place a fade-out at the end of the preceding clip. I've also had this problem pop up very occasionally. I've never been able to figure out what causes it and haven't found a repeatable way of fixing it either. I usually try deleting and re-applying the transition. If that doesn't work (usually doesn't) I try trimming the clip. If that doesn't work I give up and leave it a straight cut.

It seems to be just one of those PD quirks!

You've nailed it on the head. Very frustrating problem, and not easy to fix.

Any idea if this issue is fixed in newer versions?
fkaMikeB
Senior Member Location: Ohio, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2014 23:22 Messages: 217 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried using keyframes on the clip to change the opacity starting at 100% and decreasing to 0%?

What happens if you overlap a black color board onto the beginning of the clip then apply the fade transition?

Sorry, not really solutions, but potential workarounds.

In another software editor I used to use, the direction of a transition could be selected (ie. A->B v B->A). When this would get mixed up, I would get the exact result you describe. Not sure if PDR allows the transition direction to be changed (I should rtfm, lol).

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 07. 2014 13:03

Mike B.
|>>PowerSpecG311 PC(2014)<<||>>Windows®7Pro 64-bit OS<<|
|MB:AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+|CPU:AMD A10-7850KQuad 3.7GHz|RAM:8GB DDR3|GPU:MSI Radeon™R7 250 1GD5OC|
|HDD:Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB|HDD:WD Red 2TBx2|RAID:SansDigital TR5M+B 2TBx3|BD-R:LG BE14NU40 Ext|
|Camera:Canon Ultura miniDV|WebCam:Logitech C910|ADVC110 Analog/Digital Converter|
|PowerDirector12Ultra.2930|PhotoDirector5Ultra.5424|AudioDirector4Ultra.3522|Cyberlink MediaSuite10 OEM|
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: In another software editor I used to use, the direction of a transition could be selected (ie. A->B v B->A. When this would get mixed up, I would get the exact result you describe. Not sure if PDR allows the transition direction to be changed.

Interestingly my previous editor had the same facility and even allowed you to specify which layers it operated on (I wonder if it was the same one?). PowerDirector 9 doesn't have this level of control, just one of many rather basic omissions IMHO. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
[Post New]
Quote: Have you tried using keyframes on the clip to change the opacity starting at 100% and decreasing to 0%?

What happens if you overlap a black color board onto the beginning of the clip then apply the fade transition?

Sorry, not really solutions, but potential workarounds.

In another software editor I used to use, the direction of a transition could be selected (ie. A->B v B->A). When this would get mixed up, I would get the exact result you describe. Not sure if PDR allows the transition direction to be changed (I should rtfm, lol).

I'm going to give this one a try first, good thinking and thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how it goes.
fkaMikeB
Senior Member Location: Ohio, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2014 23:22 Messages: 217 Offline
[Post New]
Cool. I hope it works for you.
I said:
Have you tried using keyframes on the clip to change the opacity starting at 100% and decreasing to 0%?

I'm right, of course. Cyberlink has it backwards. Cyberlink FYI 100% opacity = opaque; 0% opacity = transparent.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 07. 2014 20:01

Mike B.
|MB:AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+|CPU:AMD A10-7850KQuad 3.7GHz|RAM:8GB DDR3|GPU:MSI Radeon™R7 250 1GD5OC|
|HDD:Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB|HDD:WD Red 2TBx2|RAID:SansDigital TR5M+B 2TBx3|BD-R:LG BE14NU40 Ext|
|Camera:Canon Ultura miniDV|WebCam:Logitech C910|ADVC110 Analog/Digital Converter|
|PowerDirector12Ultra.2930|PhotoDirector5Ultra.5424|AudioDirector4Ultra.3522|Cyberlink MediaSuite10 OEM|
[Post New]
Thanks to fkaMikeB for the keyframes suggestion, works like a charm!!!
grandmaziggy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2014 13:46 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
how do I use the magic movie maker for transitions or anything that will let me get the trans on I want to get the transitions on my projects automatically because it takes so long to put the trans. one by one also I tried magic movie maker and it has different pic I do not want them on there
If someone can help me I would be so grateful hope i explained myself clearly
God Bless
Grandmaziggy
fkaMikeB
[Post New]
Start a new topic. Mike B.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
You have several clips on the time line, and you want to apply the SAME transition to all those clips?
If it's a simple crossfade, open the transition room, click FAVORITES, then click the dotted-box icon just to the right of the words "My Favorites" in the toolbar. Choose APPLY FADING TRANSITION TO ALL VIDEOS.

If instead you want random transitions of the entries in the My Favorites folder, choose that option instead.

If it's another specific, non-fade transition, first copy that transition as the only entry in My Favorites, then APPLY RANDOM TRANSITION.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Oct 15. 2014 21:09

grandmaziggy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2014 13:46 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH
I will try the info you sent me and see if i can get it to work
grandmaziggy