Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
In Wave Editor, the File and View menus are always grayed out
Fontasy77 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 27, 2013 18:52 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]

I have PD 12 Ultra and often wish to use the Wave Editor for sound editing. The Wave Editor seems to work fine and makes any changes I want in the sound file. But I can't use any of the functions listed under the File and View menus (including Save) because they are grayed out and nonfunctional.

Fortunately I can edit a video clip and then have it imported back into PD by the trick of just closing Wave Editor (clicking on the X in the upper-right of the screen). A window then comes up pointing out that I haven’t saved my changes to the file and asking if I’d like to do so. I say yes, and it does it. But of course I shouldn’t have to handle it like this.

Any thoughts on this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you very much.

Don
[Post New]
Quote:
I have PD 12 Ultra and often wish to use the Wave Editor for sound editing. The Wave Editor seems to work fine and makes any changes I want in the sound file. But I can't use any of the functions listed under the File and View menus (including Save) because they are grayed out and nonfunctional.

Fortunately I can edit a video clip and then have it imported back into PD by the trick of just closing Wave Editor (clicking on the X in the upper-right of the screen). A window then comes up pointing out that I haven’t saved my changes to the file and asking if I’d like to do so. I say yes, and it does it. But of course I shouldn’t have to handle it like this.

Any thoughts on this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you very much.

Don

When you open WaveEditor from PD, it is anyway.

You can Open WaveEditor from the icon on desktop.

File Menu / Import Track (Add audio) Save Track As ... (Save audio)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 30. 2014 06:40

Fontasy77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Playsound,

Thank you for the quick reply. But it still doesn't work.

By the way, the first sentence in your message was garbled -- apparently some words missing?

Yes, you're right that if I open Wave Editor and then import an audio file, the menus work fine. But that's only if I import an audio file from my hard drive.

But instead, what I want to do is bring in an audio clip directly from my Power Director time line, edit the audio, and then have the changed audio go right back in its place in the timeline. PD is supposed to do this: I simply right-click on the audio clip, click on Edit Audio/Wave Editor, and the clip goes right into WE. But the File and View menus remain nonfunctional.

Thanks for any further guidance you can give me.

Don
[Post New]
It may seem strange is anyway WE (X) to close and choose the option.
Once he working as plug in PD. in this case.

Note the saved file, overwrites the original timeline, add icon in the media library, and saved in the working folder PD12 (Export Folder).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 30. 2014 06:26

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Fontasy77 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Playsound: OK, thank much for the information. Don

cuartetto [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 28, 2011 20:22 Messages: 168 Offline
[Post New]
When I import audio into Wave Editor from PD 12, the items on the File menu are grayed out. I believe this is normal. However, after I make my changes and click the red X in the upper right, it asks if I would like to save, answer yes and the original audio on the timeline will be replaced. I use this frequently when the original video has one audio on one ch and a different audio on the other channel. I unlink the audio from the original video and paste it into two additional audio tracks. Now I can edit each track without changing the original. Just turn off the original audio when producing.
Fontasy77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you cuartetto. Now I see how it works. Don

[Post New]
I unlink the audio from the original video and paste it into two additional audio tracks. Now I can edit each track without changing the original. Just turn off the original audio when producing.

Just to clarify:
When you use WaveEditor from PD, the audio from the original video is not modified, the modified audio file is saved in the Export folder.

In two cases the audio was unrelated to the video.

If it's a long video, I Corrigo the audio first.

Except in new video file, preferably using SVRT.

Again have an editable file with corrected audio.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 30. 2014 14:24

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Fontasy77 [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK. Thanks again playsound. Don