Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't play "The Happening"
Matthew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 06, 2008 14:48 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, since I already have one major issue with CyberLink open and it is taking forever to get any help with that (and it is complete bull that I have to pay for phone support so I could get any sort of competent help, maybe competent who knows). I am asking here. I just bought "The Happening" on Blu-Ray today and I get no video or audio out of PowerDVD 7.2 BD. I have updated the firmware on my Blu-Ray player and my computer blows the min requirements for BD playback away (8 GB ran, 64 bit os, quad core CPU, nvidia 8800 GTS overclocked). I have watched a few other BD movies fine it is just "The Happening" that will not give any audio/video. Ideas?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 18. 2008 09:38

Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 08, 2008 03:01 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hye Matthew,

I had the exact same problem: Inserted the disc, pressed play, and nothing but a black screen. After trying to upgrade my graphics driver, I downloaded the 2008-09-30 PowerDVD patch from:

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/patches_112_ENU.html

and that fixed it Try that and see if it helps

Cheers!

-Chris
Matthew [Avatar]
[Post New]
I will give it a shot and see what happens but none of those patches apply to me I have an OEM version of 7.2 BD that came with my liteon drive.
Matthew [Avatar]
[Post New]
None of the patches work. At looking at it more thoses patches are for PowerDVD Ultra not 7.2 BD
Jeff [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 08, 2008 20:19 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Same here - just a black screen - nothing else... and I played Hitman a few weeks ago without a problem - so I was wondering if something happened to the player... maybe an update I missed or something - glad to see I'm not the only one...
Matthew [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Same here - just a black screen - nothing else... and I played Hitman a few weeks ago without a problem - so I was wondering if something happened to the player... maybe an update I missed or something - glad to see I'm not the only one...
I ended up downloading all the patches on the link given above and one applied and now everything is working. Try that
Christopher [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 09, 2008 14:28 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same problem!! I have powerdvd 8 ultra and all I get is a black screen!
Christopher [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 09, 2008 14:28 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
My computer is way over the requirements also. I don't understand what the problem is, I got the movie to play in Arcsoft Total Media Theater, but it gives my computer the blue screen of death after a short time.
armando [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 14, 2008 17:05 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem I ran the update and now it does play, but this is the same patch that breaks IronMan. So now it seems that I either have to decide what movies i want to watch or spend 30 min installing different patches for each movie. man this software is busted.
Erin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 18, 2008 07:55 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]

I'm also having the same problem with "The Happening". I've been watching Blu-rays for months on my Dell XPS 1730--an outstanding piece of technology--and suddenly I get "The Happening" from Netflix and it won't play, the same exact symptoms as described above.

I actually thought it was something wrong with the disc, so I reported the first copy that was sent out to me as damaged and got a second copy. And now it's clear to me that it's not something wrong with the disc, but with PowerDVD.

The link provided above looks like patches for PowerDVD 7. I'm running PowerDVD 8, build 8.0.1830.50.

I'd really like to feel that I can rely on this $100 piece of software to play blurays on my system, as advertised.

Not being able to play blurays constitutes a breech of contract, if I'm not mistaken.
armando [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 14, 2008 17:05 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
That is the same version I was using and all played up untill "The Happening" like you. I installed the patch availiable on the cyberlink website 2021a and the happening now plays. I put the disk in then the software starts and i get a black screen for like 2 min then it goes red and says that my software needs a update for all the features or something but their is a continue option I continue and it plays fine. But this patch breaks "Iron Man" now when I try to play "Iron Man" powerdvd8 just crashes to the desktop right after it opens
Erin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: That is the same version I was using and all played up untill "The Happening" like you. I installed the patch availiable on the cyberlink website 2021a and the happening now plays. ...

Took me awhile to find the patch you mentioned. It would have been more helpful if you provided a link. Cyberlink's website is barely navigable. I'm downloading it now and will report back with any news, good bad or indifferent.

Since I'm not going to be watching Iron Man on DVD (saw it in the theaters), I'm not worried about not being able to watch that film. However, it installing build of PowerDVD 8 is going to cause certain movies not to play, then it's obvious that there are going to be problems all the same one way or the other.
Daisuke [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Oct 03, 2006 06:25 Messages: 354 Offline
[Post New]
I think this is the same issue with IronMan.
I heard about CyberLink fixed this issue.
They will release patch file of PowerDVD 8 next week.

Erin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey armondo, I installed the patch and was able to watch "The Happening". For anyone still suffering and finding it impossible to navigate Cyberlink's unnavigable site, the actual link to the patch is here:

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/patches_1_ENU.html

It's the first "Download" button.

I can't speak for anything being wrong with other BluRay discs because I only have one to three at a time from Netflix. But I can say it plays "The Happening" once this patch is installed.

And my god it's an outstanding movie. M. Night Shylaman is a gifted writer and director. I've watched other films he's written, produced, and directed, too, and he has yet to fail my interests.
KRONAH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 22, 2008 04:23 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Neither Could I, Then I bought Power DVD 8 and it worked great, really great; so did Zohan. Now, when I try to watch the Hulk it says it cannot access the storage device.

Lets see how long it takes to fix.